Random lockup during remote session

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random lockup during remote session

I look after a network with a Dell 1600SC domain controller and a variety of other servers on the network like a PowerEdge 2600, PowerVault 745n, etc. Much of the work I do is remote and the customer is about 3hrs away.

The ISP is a wireless provider and they supply their own firewall/router they call a 'wow' box. They look after the forwarding of any incoming ports. I have port 443 and 1723 forwarded to my domain controller, an SBS 2003 box that is up-to-date.

I make a PPTP VPN connection to the SBS box where I am handed an IP. I then use Remote Desktop to connect to the SBS server using a local IP, and sometimes I will connect to another server using Remote Desktop from the SBS server. This means there are two separate Remote Desktop sessions running.

Sometimes my VPN connection gets dropped for no apparent reason and I cannot reconnect to the SBS server unless someone reboots the server. There are no events logged other than an 'unexpected shutdown'. When I lose my VPN connection, the entire network is down and so is the e-mail which resides on Exchange on the SBS server.

We have a new PSU I replaced as a precaution, plus there is 2GB of RAM. I am using the /3 switch in boot.ini and we let Windows manage the pagefile. This has become a real thorn in my side and I am looking for a solution of some sort.

I cannot replace the ISPs appliance; otherwise I would put a Netscreen in place and let that be my VPN endpoint. Suggestions? Should I set DHCP and RRAS up on another server? Would the problem be because I have a Remote Desktop session to the SBS server, and then a emote Desktop session from SBS to another server on the network?
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Random lockup during remote session

Do you have UPSes connected to all the appropriate devices?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, PowerWare and APC all around.

Comment

Sounds like you need to remote in to a workstation over there and then remote from the workstation on to the server.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

It's a tough call not knowing where the problem is. I have a Netscreen 5XT that's not being used. I though about putting that between the ISP's firewall/router and the LAN and using Netscreen Remote to make an IPsec connection to the 5XT.

Comment

First of all, I would say use SBS as your VPN endpoint. Better still, I would open port 4125 and use RWW to access your network remotely. 4125 together with 443 are all you need. You use a web browser to connect to <FQDN>/remote and then take it from there.
            Currently it sounds like your network is forwarding everything to your VPN client or such.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Have you tried rebooting the 'wow' box only when this happens?
              When you say wireless ISP do you mean the last mile is provided by way of a wireless connection?
              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've saidĒ - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
              X