Install SBS 2003 on Vmware Virtual Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install SBS 2003 on Vmware Virtual Server

Has anyone installed SBS 2003 on Vmware's Virtual Server? I'm interested in any potential problems or suggestions. thanks in advance

Re: Install SBS 2003 on Vmware Virtual Server

I've never actually tried it but according to the law passed down by Bill Gates it's not supported:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867572

This doesn't mean that it's not possibible. Perhaps someone else has tried it before?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It even installs on a virtual workstation and on VPC!
      What's more, you can download a VMWare 64-bit and run 64-bit versions there - if there were any! (exchange 2007 is 64-bit only!)
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks all for the info. Bill Gates has nothing to do with it. You can install SBS server on Virtual PC which is his software and it will install on EMC's VMWARE virtual server.

Comment

Originally posted by sqllady View Post
          Bill Gates has nothing to do with it.
          I didn't say he did, all I said was that it is not supported by Microsoft.

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

But as we well know, not supported doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work!
            TIA

sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

I wonder if it is not a supported OS in a virtual environment because of the "Trust" issue. SBS has to be the root of the domain. So in a production LAN, if you created a VM environment that you installed SBS in, it would want to be the root of that LAN. Of course you can set it up in VM as a test/lab system. But it needs to stay on a virtual network. You can't let it engage your production LAN.

Comment

One item of virtualisation is how the network stack is handled. And SBS Premium includes ISA firewall. Now you can't very well have a firewall in a virtualised stack as there are other layers underneath, and the firewall wants to be at the bottom of those layers to be sure about everything passing through - which it can't be, in a virtualised environment.
                However, we are getting away from the topics of this forum and I ask, if you want to take this further, move the topic or start a new thread in the virtualisation forum(s), please.
                TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X