No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 Trial Version Upgrade - Almost

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 Trial Version Upgrade - Almost

We acquired a company running and Evaluation (Trial Version) of SBS 2003 (the Version Number was 3270). The trial period expired, and as has been described in other posts on this board, the server would continue to run - and re-boot each hour.

We purchased the retail version (R2) and began the installation ASSUMING that we would be required to do a full install from scratch. However, after installing Windows, the server re-booted - and is now running as it did before. However, the "Evaluation Version 3270" is gone from the desktop. The Version Number is now listed in the Help pull-down is Version: 5.2.2651.0.

When I try to continue running the installation, I get a blocking error telling me that "SBS 2003 cannot upgrade from Server 2000".

Here's what I'd like to know:

1. Is there any way to complete this LEGAL upgrade on this machine without having to reconfigure the entire server?

2. Is there any way to tell how many days are left on an evaluation copy of SBS 2003? (I'm thinking that, for some reason, the 180 days may have been reset).

3. Is there any way to tell if this version of SBS still thinks it's an Eval Copy?

Re: SBS 2003 Trial Version Upgrade - Almost

According to a number of sources on MS sites running "winver" in a command lienmay give you the expiry date:

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: SBS 2003 Trial Version Upgrade - Almost

Does the server still reboot every hour? - that's kinda a dead giveaway.