Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Mailstore exceeds 16GB but still works on a SBS Exchange 2003 SP1

Hi all,

I have an interesting situation where a Small Business Server SP1 running Exchange SP1 has 2 private mailstores, one that exceeds 16GB (its 25 gigs).

How is this possible? - I've checked for registry edits and nothing seems to be like the SP2 edits... unfortunately i've inherited this server off an old admin that i cant get in touch with.

i'm hoping you can help me, i know the saying is - if it aint broke dont try and fix it.. but i'm concerned that if for some reason it might stop working..

sorry if this should be in Exchange forum but it is on SBS 2003 and it might be specific to that..

Cheers,
    Matthew
    Last edited by phoenixmn; 4th January 2007, 08:43.

Re: Exchange Mailstore exceeds 16GB but still works on a SBS Exchange 2003 SP1

Alot will depend on the amount of white space that the exchange stores has.

Have a loo at this and see if it helps

http://www.petri.com/change_store_si...ex2003_sp2.htm

Comment

Except its SP1 not SP2..

According to the properties on the server under System Manager:
      Version 6.5 (Build 7226.6: Service Pack 1)

Also.. it has 2 private mailstores... plus the public folder store...
      a screener is available: http://www.phoenixtp.com.au/forum/exchange.jpg

Regards,
      Matthew

Comment

Is the second group a Recovery Store? That is allowed in EX Std. Otherwise it may be an Enterprise Ed installed on top of SBS. In which case you would need Exchange CALS also I believe.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Try to create a new Mailbox Store, just for the hecks of it. If you can, then it's probably the Ent. edition installed on top of the SBS one. I didn't know that was possible, but if Steven says so...
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks Steven and Daniel.

Ok that worked! - i was able to create another mailbox store.

I then actually followed Daniel's guide on what's my Exchange Version or How can I tell if I am running Exchange Enterprise server or Standard Server?

it is infact Enterprise.. sneaky people putting Enterprise on a SBS 2003 server.

Well that at least explains that! - thanks all!

Matt
            Last edited by phoenixmn; 7th January 2007, 06:30.

Comment

Someone's been very dodgy with software installations. You now have the responsibility of checking you have appropriate numbers of client access licenses for Exchange 2003 Enterprise or downgrading back to regular SBS. Who did the original install?

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

A previous 'IT consulting' group who no longer exists.

Definitely aware of that, infact the first thing I am doing is moving Exchange off the SBS server to a independant Windows 2003 running Exchange (with cals and all).

Cheers,
                Matt

Comment

Upgrade to SBS R2 - then you don't need CALS! Break even point is between 5 and 10 Users, since the upgrade costs ~$500
                  TIA

sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

You don't need CALs on SBS 2003 R2????

How does it work? (meaning how does Microsoft rip you off for lots of money).

Comment

You don't need CALS for ADDITIONAL servers: From the licensing FAQ
                      Q. I want to have additional servers running Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 on my SBS 2003 R2 domain. Do my users need CALs to access those servers?

A. No. Your SBS 2003 R2 CALs allow your users to access any additional servers running Windows Server software in the domain. You do not need to buy additional CALs for file and print services, or to access additional servers running Exchange Server 2003 or SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition. However, you will need to purchase Terminal Server CALs if you have a server running Terminal Services in application mode on your network.

on http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServ...licensing.mspx

If you want more onlicensing lets take it to a different thread,please.
                      TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X