when a computer changes ownership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when a computer changes ownership

Sorry, I don't know how exactly to title this.

Here's the situation: One of our order entry reps quit and we now have someone else ready to take her position so she will be using her computer. Is there a certain way this should be handled? How do I assign this new user to this computer and remove the old user? If I remember correctly, I can't rerun connectcomputer from a computer that's already connected to the domain, right? Should I remove it from the domain and then rerun connectcomputer?

Re: when a computer changes ownership

I would say that it depends on what you want to achieve.

Any user can use any machine, if this is how it is setup, and should be able to login to the machine.

From what i can gather you want to rename the PC???

If so then you will need to remove the PC from the domain, rename it then run the wizard to rejoin.

Comment

Otherwise, just remove the old user from the local administators (or power users) group, add in the new user to same, delete the old user's documents and settings and be on your way.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

If this is SBS, there has to be a Wizard to do this. Looks like it is time for me to install SBS and learn the Wizards.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Number of problems here:
          In SBSLand it is very common to name the machines after the users, like Mike01 or Anat07. Then if one leaves, it's a pain.
          I have tried giving machines generic names like Station1, Station2 etc with big stickers on them but most small businesses don't like it.
          So you are left with renaming the machine, and/or taking it out of the domain and adding it back in. Just remember to have the LOCAL admin password handy when you remove it from the domain or Google will have you back at this site looking for how to deal with lost passwords!
          There is even a problem when someone gets married and changes their family name, when you want to update AD. I don't think Microsoft either employs married people, lets one partner change his/her name to the other partner's family name or doesn't give them a computer account if their name changes!
          So as A method but not THE method, I would suggest, run the Add User wizard for the new user including creating a new computer, but not installing any applications. (Re)set the local administrator password on the computer if it isn't known to you. Remove the computer from the domain. Reconnect it with the \connectcomputer web site and log in as the new user. Check on the server and remove the old user account and see if teh computer account is gone. Decide want you want to do with the old mail and redirect the old e-mail address to the new one for a short period, if you need to.
          Biggles,
          DL Virtual Server and set up SBS immediately, if not sooner. Then you'll know the wizards
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Juat waiting for Jan 10. http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...on=Custom&ID=8
            Labs Currently in Development!...
            Small Business Server
            SBS 2003 R2

Jan. 10, 2007
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

From a security standpoint, I install workstations with a generic name like Comp001 . If there is ever a security loophole or flaw on the network, it keeps prying eyes away from the accounting computer to see the payroll information, or from the bosses computer to see if there is any confidential information.

Renaming the network gives me a good reason to keep my Visio skills sharp. I document the network, keep a network diagram in the server room, and one on the wall in my office which is a remote location.
              Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Renaming a network in SBSLand is a no-no. RENDOM can be done but it is not worth the effort.
                As for the workstations, I too use generic names , but use the Description field extensively as that is now what shows up first in the "Entire Network" and helps you locate the computer you want to use/administer.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I never realized my typo until after because I never rename a computer. Should read:

Generic names gives me a good reason to keep my Visio skills sharp. I document the network, keep a network diagram in the server room, and one on the wall in my office which is a remote location.
                  Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Thanks for the help. Great info guys - I am surprised the books I bought didn't mention that part about naming the PCs something generic. Before I installed the server, the computers were labeled with a sticker on the outside with a computer # (ex: C02) and the computer was named C02 obviously. When I installed SBS I went with the defaults as most of what I heard from people was to stick with the defaults. That's one I wish I had not stuck with. However, it is not a pain to change it anyway. Here's what I did based on Teiger's suggestion:

Assumptions: installing a PC for Jane Doe
                    Jane Doe is already set up on the server w/ a computer as well.
                    Computer name is jdoe01

1) Logged on as local Administrator on the PC in question.
                    2) Removed the PC from the domain and renamed it to jdoe01 (requires reboot)
                    3) Logged back on as local Admin and used /connectcomputer to join the domain as Jane Doe
                    4) Forwarded old account's email to Jane Doe

That was it...took about 15 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                    X