Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Server 2003 on Toshiba Satellite

Greetings,

I have a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6114 (at work) that came with XP. I partitioned it and installed Server 2003 r2. It will boot up fine, but the device manager group for "other devices" ethernet controller, Network controller, etc. all report that the driver is not installed. Found no support for server 2003 on Toshiba page so tried the self extracting XP driver for ethernet. It ran but did not help.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

Thanks,

jh

Re: Installing Server 2003 on Toshiba Satellite

Is that something like a PowerEdge 4600?
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

this may not ever work....
      Extract the driver to a location. Then right click (or through the wizard) start the installation of the driver. When you get to the screen below (or similar) select have disk and browse to the location of the driver that you just extracted. It will complain that the driver is mismatched, but install it anyway.
      Cross your fingers.
      Attached Files
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I think the Power Edge w600 is a Dell server. This is a Toshiba laptop.

jh

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
          this may not ever work....
          Extract the driver to a location. Then right click (or through the wizard) start the installation of the driver. When you get to the screen below (or similar) select have disk and browse to the location of the driver that you just extracted. It will complain that the driver is mismatched, but install it anyway.
          Cross your fingers.
          Thanks, I'll give that a try. I just have to find out where the self-extracting/executing file is landing.

jh

Comment

Toshiba laptop.
            that's why Toshiba has no support for it, but that never stopped us
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by jhite View Post
              I think the Power Edge w600 is a Dell server. This is a Toshiba laptop.

jh
              Thanks for sharing that with me

Comment

Originally posted by jhite View Post
                Greetings,

I have a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6114 (at work) that came with XP. I partitioned it and installed Server 2003 r2. It will boot up fine, but the device manager group for "other devices" ethernet controller, Network controller, etc. all report that the driver is not installed. Found no support for server 2003 on Toshiba page so tried the self extracting XP driver for ethernet. It ran but did not help.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

Thanks,

jh
                Try the XP drivers. XP and Server 203 share a lot of the same code. If you get a message that the driver may not work, i.e. the NIC, ignore it.

Comment

If you are still having problems, think about virtual pc on the laptop and installing server as a virtual machine. Obviously you will need more RAM!

I have found that Server normally takes XP drivers without problems, although it will warn you they are not designed for it. Alternatively, for your network and chipset, I am guessing generic intel drivers should work (assuming it is centrino/pentium based?)

Tmo
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have heard others say the XP drivers work OK. My mentor came by gave me an idea to check. I had partitioned the disk and put 2003 on partition F. However the C drive is still visible when I boot 2003. So I am going to reformat F, then make it the active partition which will hide the XP partition, and then boot from the 2003 CD. It may be that the driver auto installer is putting the driver in the XP space.

jh

Comment

I personally run an SBS for demos in a Virtual PC on my (Thinkpad) laptop. This avoids hardware/driver issues and is recommended. Just get more memory - I added 1GB!
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                      X