Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Windows 2003 to SBS 2003

Hello,

I have a scenario that I would like to receive confirmation that it is supported by Microsoft or recommended or not.

Windows 2003 Server, Domain Controller with Exchange 2003 installed on the domain controller. I know it's not recommended to do this but it's a small shop.
    They are interested in CRM for SBS so upgrading the server would be the next step.

I would like to know if you can install SBS 2003 on top of this configuration. Would the existing exchange installation break.

If exchange already exists what would be the options, backup / restore or install on a new server. move the mailboxes to the new server. Upgrade the box and move the exchange users back?

Thanks

chbardt

Re: Upgrading Windows 2003 to SBS 2003

Correct me if I am wrong guys but if you have Windows 2003 server with Exchange 2003 on it and you try to goto 2003 SBS that will be more like a de grade not an upgrade.
    Plus I do not believe that you can do that. Why don't you just set them up with MS Live Account or Sugar CRM. They work pretty well.

Comment

There is a version of CRM Professional Server for Windows Server 2003 (Standard or even Web version)

It would be less expensive to put together a second box with Server Web Edition and CRM Professional Server than it would be to transition over to SBS.

Unless you are using the SBS version, you can't have CRM on the same server as Exchange and SQL, it has to be one or the other. The easiest solution is a second box.

You can't install SBS over top of Server 2003. You could set up a second box and do a swing migration.
      Last edited by RobW; 20th December 2006, 21:06. Reason: spelling
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

I agree with you usits but I've already been branded as an SBS trouble maker
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

CRM has a version that runs with Exchange and SQL Server and it's made specifically for SBS 2003 Premium. Not a good move in my opinion given what they have to work with.

Comment

I agree w/ usits that moving to SBS may not be an upgrade. Not up on the specific CRM issues. Looks like RobW has that figured out and a separate box may be the answer.

Sorry RobW, I posted without seeing you post (1 min. apart). Keep up the good work.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

First of all, it IS possible to UPgrade a plain W2K3 Server to SBS. The difficulty is if you have Exchange in there also as in this case.
              If you also intend to add CRM SBS edition, are you sure the hardware is strong enough to handle it? If not, you had better think about a new server. In that case you could use http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453. If yes, then you have the next option of a swing migration (see www.sbsmigration.com).
              CRM SBS is considerably cheaper that the standard edition for virtually no loss in functionality.
              And to those who replied that doing any of the above would be considered a downgrade, rearrange these words into a well known saying or phrase:
              off Pi$$ from this forum (Only joking )
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Yes, I stand corrected on that Teiger. Just make sure you don't boot from the SBS CD, just run setup from it.

Comment

Actually I have just checked with my peers, including Jeff_M of SBSMigration.com and they have confirmed that you CAN in fact, take an existing Win2k3/Ex2k3 server and throw in the SBS CD1 and upgrade. I had thought that the setup may balk at trying to extend the AD schema when it is already extended, but that turns out to not be the case.
                  Of course, you have to be within the SBS parameters to perform this upgrade ie single forest/domain, no trusts, all FSMO roles on the server to be upgraded, less than 75 clients.......
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and the confirmation.

Comment

Working...
                    X