This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOD32 on SBS 2003

I have a new prospect for a customer and I did an assessment last week. I am going to present them with a report detailing my findings.

On an SBS server I have always installed Trend Micro, Symantec Enterprise or Symantec Corporate with clients on all the workstations. This customer has individual version of NOD32 on all the workstations and servers.

I tried to explain to them about cetralized anti virus management. I explained about the disadvantages of having weak links in the network when individuals become responsible for their own updates.

What's up with NOD32? What else can I tell these people? They are not hosting their own e-mail.

TIA
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: NOD32 on SBS 2003

Well there is an enterprise version and from what the stats say and from what I've heard, NOD32 is one of the best AV products out there... but I have no experience with it. And I guess another drawback/advantage is that they only do AV and nothing else, AFAIK.
    http://www.eset.com/products/enterprise_edition.php

http://www.av-comparatives.org/ (the URL says it all)
    Last edited by JeremyW; 17th December 2006, 05:00.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I use NOD32 on my personal Windows XP machine after having tried numerous anti-virus products. NOD32 has great heuristics and uses virtually no resources compared to the competition. I can see very much why your customer is using NOD32, though I also believe that in a corporate network anti-virus should be centralized. As JeremyW said, take a look at the enterprise edition of NOD32 and see if it supports centralized anti-virus management.

Comment

The enterprise edition does support central management of client pc's.We have only recently started to use NOD on our internal network and we are very impressed ( if you become a reseller you can license your internal network for free), you would hardly notice that it was running on the machines. We have now started to install this on all our existing and current client's machines.I would recommend it to others no question.

Comment

go with nod. i have installed it on 2 sbs servers already. 1 sbs r1 and the other one sbs r2 recently.
          great application.

Comment

Originally posted by anibalin View Post
            go with nod. i have installed it on 2 sbs servers already. 1 sbs r1 and the other one sbs r2 recently.
            great application.

Enterprise version? Centrally managed?

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
              Enterprise version? Centrally managed?
              well, in r1 its installed normally, in r2 we installed in enterprise mode (it manage the update to all the other workstations).

Comment

We Have sbs2003 with NOD32 V2.5 Enterprise edition installed on it.

We are very satisfied with it.

it does have centralized mgmt, and the server updated all of the PC's,

if u r using laptops- u can also define that if the laptops are not in ur LAN they will update themselves through the internet.

personally i recommend this applicatiion.
                before, we had Symantec- every time a user logged on the scan process of the symantec was running in the background and the user couldn't work...

the NOD process is very small,
                and also, the signature DB is better the one on symantec products,

by the way, they also have a version special for exchange servers.

symantec has one advantage and its the built in bright mail.
                although u still have to pay extra for it...(u can still purchase it separately).

NOD in Israel (Eset) has good support but (and its a big but) they are a very small team and they dont support on weekends (only Sunday to Thursday).

Or Czerninski
                [email protected]
                [email protected]
                http://www.originull.com
                Best regards,
                Or.

Comment

Originally posted by orczer View Post
                  personally i recommend this applicatiion.
                  before, we had Symantec- every time a user logged on the scan process of the symantec was running in the background and the user couldn't work...
                  Thanks for the post. In the Symantec System Centre, client scans are configurable. After an initial scan at setup, I never scan a client again and let 'Real Time Protection' do its thing.

I still have Symantec on all my clients but am investigating NOD. It appears more expensive that Symantec.

Comment

Originally posted by orczer View Post

Or Czerninski
                    [email protected]
                    [email protected]
                    Slightly (ok a lot) . The above problem with SAV was a bug in Version 10. There was a fix for it and it was rectified in a later version (10.0.1 I think). It was caused by the "startup" scan DOSCAN.EXE running at Realtime Priority and hogging the CPU.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Symantec offered me 10.1 upgrades which made my life mellow after

Comment

hi,

i called nod32 reseller in Israel (ESET).and asked them for u about pricing.
                        this is their answer:

EDITED BY MOD. ENGLISH ONLY, and for God's sake, why do you want to SPAM MY FORUMS with their sales letter???

Personally, i believe that:
                        for now- it's the best AV for home users and SMB's
                        for enterprises- they need to have 24\7 support.... but maybe if u r a big organization u'll get ur own SLA....

if u have any questions, he said fell free to contact him at any time.
                        as for technical questions, i will be happy to assist.

Or Czerninski
                        [email protected]
                        [email protected]
                        Last edited by danielp; 26th December 2006, 15:00.
                        Best regards,
                        Or.

Comment

orczer,

Can you translate it into english there it's the native and only language we're using here.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

im sorry but i cant understand why u censored my post...
                            someone asked about pricing of NOD32, saying that it costs more than symantec..

so i called them (ESET) myself and got a respond for him... that shows its cheaper then symantec...

the only mistake was that i wrote it in hebrew...(copy & paste from his mail)

im sorry if its interpreted as Spam. it wasnt my intention...
                            i was only trying to help...

Or Czerninski
                            [email protected]
                            [email protected]
                            Last edited by orczer; 26th December 2006, 15:12.
                            Best regards,
                            Or.

Comment

I'm sure you only intended to help, that's why I didn't nuke your account as I usually do with "real" spammers.

We're glad you wanted to help, but since this is an English-only forum (although I personally speak Hebrew, so does Steven, Yuval, Yaniv, Guy and others), we want to keep the threads readable for everyone.

So, instead of pasting the reply email you got, I suggest you write the main issues that you want to share, such as price and other important items, and do that in English.

Agreed?
                              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                              X