Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

n00b: SBS 2K3: How Can I demote DC to Workgroup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b: SBS 2K3: How Can I demote DC to Workgroup?

Hi All,
    One of my clients, has a small dental office that has about 8 PCs connected to Server running Small Business Server 2003 (I believe R2?). The problem they are issuing is that the network is very slow (lot of crap on the Server).

All Workstations are running XP Pro SP2.

They have some proprietary dental software that can not be reinstalled (at least at the moment since they have lost the CDs) and in a sense, rebuilding the Server from scratch is out of question. (for now)

Believe me, I have assessed the environment and for such a small office, being on a domain is not worth the pain.

I really would like to know if there is a way to demote this Server from a Domain to a Work group environment. If so, would you be kind enough to let me know the step-by-step process (still learning! ) and also I need to know if they still would be able to access all the data and shared resources on the server after this process.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: n00b: SBS 2K3: How Can I demote DC to Workgroup?

You'd use DCPROMO to demote the server to a workgroup.

Check box both "this server is the last controller in the domain" and "delete all application directory partitions on this domain controller" then hope for the best.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...mote+workgroup

Before you go off and do that, what made you come to the conclusion this will address performance or is that a separate issue?

I think you're opening yourself up to more "pain" w/ a demotion to workgroup than w/ staying the course.

I imagine the performance issues lie elsewhere.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Rick, you must have missed it. This is an SBS server C0deHunter is talking about.

When you say it is running slow, what do you mean?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry but I'm not working w/ SBS. So one can't demote an SBS DC? Not that I think the OP should do that.
        Last edited by rvalstar; 13th December 2006, 11:51. Reason: typo
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Nope, no sir, no way.
          SBS cannot run as anything but a Domain Controller. If you DC Promo and return it to a member server, then the Core Service will close down SBS eventually every hour.
          But if SBS is too slow, either reinstall it correctly or give it enough resources (RAM etc)
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

haven't had chance to log into the server, they need to get the password from their previous IT guy, but I was hoping by doing so, I ease up the process, because as you know SBS has many services running in the background that they don't need it at.

In my experience, in such a small environment, Workgroup always works smoother, the thing that they are experiencing is that during crunch time and busy time, the server is really slow, and they have to reboot it (sometimes it helps but not always).

I definitely would like to take a look at the server and see what crap is installed on it (I saw an error message from PCAnywhere, and God knows what other clean-up it needs)

The other thing is early next year, they are going to add couple of more PCs and will be in a transition mode (will move PCs around, mostly in the back office), so I think even if they would be able to go into a Workgroup environment, it would be a temporary fix for them.

At that time, I guess we have no choice but to rebuild the server from scratch.

What do you recommend? I am hoping to accomplish this soon.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
              Nope, no sir, no way.
              SBS cannot run as anything but a Domain Controller. If you DC Promo and return it to a member server, then the Core Service will close down SBS eventually every hour.
              Great to know. I (un)fortunately deal w/ large companies so SBS has never crossed my path. I just figured it was a marketing gimic. Obviously much more to it than that.
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

I was thinking:

1- Build a new PC and install Server 2003 on it

2- Join this new Server 2003 to the existing domain

3- Disjoin all Desktops from the Domain and add them to a Workgroup

4 - Promote this newly built Server 2003 to a DC

5 - Transfer all user profiles and data from SBS to this new Server 2003

6 - Demote this newly built Server 2003 and join to the workgroup

7 - Take SBS out of the pictture

The software that they use is Dentrix that has a flat database residing on a share in SBS, so theoretically, it should work.

Please correct me!

Thanks for all your patience with me!

Comment

Why not leave it as a domain? i.e. :

1- Build a new PC and install Server 2003 on it

2- Join this new Server 2003 to the existing domain

3- Disjoin all Desktops from the Domain and add them to a Workgroup - NO

4 - Promote this newly built Server 2003 to a DC

5 - Transfer all user profiles and data from SBS to this new Server 2003

6 - Demote this newly built Server 2003 and join to the workgroup - NO

7 - Switch off SBS box and rebuild with 2003 - join to domain

8 - Transfer user data and profiles BACK to the original box and use it as a filer/printer/DNS/DHCP server

Trouble is, with a workgroup, everyone has to log into everything; you have to log into your PC, you have to log in to anything which is sharing files (and even then the access difficulties are strange and arcane to fix), you sometimes only get guest rights... it's totally mad to set up workgroups. Use folder redirection to minimise the sizes of profiles, allow users to store data locally which isn't being used by others... there are other ways to optimise small environment performance.

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                    .. there are other ways to optimise small environment performance.
                    Yes, indeed. It's called SBS when installed and configured correctly!

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                    Great to know. I (un)fortunately deal w/ large companies so SBS has never crossed my path. I just figured it was a marketing gimic. .
                    Marketting gimic - I'm going to check with Daniel if I can get you banned from this forum for that
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Oooom Rick, oh dear, now you've upset him, err I mean us.......GO SBS!!!
                      Last edited by biggles77; 15th December 2006, 14:29. Reason: Insert correct name.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think you mean me. Tom is harmless in the "hold harmless" legal sense.
                        Last edited by rvalstar; 15th December 2006, 13:52. Reason: clarify harmless
                        Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                        X