add an sbs 2003 server to a network that has a unix server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add an sbs 2003 server to a network that has a unix server

We have a unix based server that is hosting data management apps. The workstations are all running Microsoft O/S's. LAN is 192.168.16.1 -.36

We have just purchased a new version of the same program and it is now a C/S based Microsoft win 32 application that requires MS SQL v5. We are going to install a sbs 2003 premium edition R2 server to host this application initially on the same network. We must run a parallel sytstem for at least 30 days then the Unix box goes away.

My question is, if we use a different non public LAN IP than the UNIX server uses will there be operational issues with the SBS server and it's clients? All clients for the SBS server are new Win XP and will have IP addresss issued by the DHCP Microsoft server. Has anyone ever been down this road before? If so, how do we configure and make this operational? Sure would appreciate any input.

Thank you

Re: add an sbs 2003 server to a network that has a unix server

There will be issues if you do start using a different IP scheme (10.0.x.x) different then what you have. Though i am not sure why you would want to. Have SBS take over the DHCP (i believe that was your intention) using the same 192.168.16.x, leaving the UNIX box as is ( verify no IP conflict...). Then the workstations can access both servers.
    Post back some more info as well, I think you are making this more complicated then it should be.

Also will the clients be joining the SBS domain? do you you have an existing domain? How do the clients currently access the UNIX machine?
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

The existing clients are using static IP's to connect to the UNIX server.
      We really do not want the existing workstations to access the SBS box if we do not need to.

I thought that changing the LAN IP on the SBS box to a different scheme would preclude any issues?

Ideally, we would like to keep the UNIX and the sbs server seperate.

Thanks

Comment

so are getting new workstations as well?
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

The exisiting UNIX server and the existing clients will be taken off line permanently after 30 days. The SBS server will have all new Win XP clients. The SBS will be a different domain than the exisiting UNIX server and it's clients.

Thanks

Comment

So UNIX is not running DHCPd, and you intend to run SBS on a diferent addressing scheme, whilst existing stations all have static IPs. Is that correct?

If so, then the two "systems" will not actually see one another and have no communication. SO you can run the two systems in parallel for 30 days or three hundred days if you want. The only contention is they are both using the same colliion domain on the switch/cables. Therefore, if you have a broadcast storm or anything that saturates thewires, you will have a communication problem. Othewise AFAIK you are in the clear.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Steven,

You are essentially correct in you understanding based on the info that I was able to provide, but I want to double check if in fact our UNIX box is not running DHCP for it's clients. I will confirm this ASAP. However, if the network IP scheme is in fact different 192.168.16.x - and the new SBS server 10.10.10.x is my thinking correct that the servers and/or workstations will not conflict with each other?

Thanks

Comment

Indeed, now that we understand the question, I agree with Steven that you should not have any conflicts between the two networks. (except for DHCP....). If you will have a shared internet gateway that may be pose a problem, and you'll need a three routers...

Comment

Thanks very much to both you and Steven. As I now have a better understanding of the issue at hand, I will remove any gateway access to the unix server and its clients. This eliminates the need for a seperate router and we will be using ISA 2004 included with sbs 2003 premium. I suspect that I am able to install the sbs box now with better understanding.

Th anks

Comment

Working...
                  X