how much memory usage is normal?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much memory usage is normal?

running sbs 2003 r2 w/ exchange 2003

I get this error every day in my report from the server:

A large amount of memory is committed to applications and processes. Consistently high memory usage can cause performance problems.

To determine which processes and applications are using the most memory, use Task Manager. Monitor the activity of these resources over a few days. If they continue to use a high level of memory and are less critical processes or services, try stopping and then restarting them.

You can disable this alert or change its threshold by using the Change Alert Notifications task in the Server Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.

Normally it's sqlserv.exe and it's up around 400,000KB but today I checked and it was 1,659,040KB. That seems really high. Is there anything I should be checking into? Is this going to cause a problem? I should also point out that it's sbsmonitoring that is the culprit.
    Last edited by noRulez43; 2nd December 2006, 16:55.

Re: how much memory usage is normal?

Can you give us more info on what you have HW-wise and what's running on the box (SQL Server set up and application usage especially)?

SQL Server can and will gobble available memory. If you go into SQL Server Enterprise Manager and do a right-click Properties, you can tweak some memory usage parameters. Not suggesting you do this as SQL Server perf. may suffer but it could elim. the event.
    Last edited by rvalstar; 2nd December 2006, 18:55.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Exchange Server will consume as much memory as it can, but the nice feature of advanced memory management associated with products like Server 2003 (and Windows XP) is that they are designed to release memory to the pool as other applications request it.

Remember, free RAM is wasted RAM. I would rather have available RAM being used for the kernel or caching or the mail store other than sitting there idle.

Back to your plight, you can change the threshold levels for your report in monitoring. The events you are receiving are very normal and require tweaking on an individual basis.

For example, inetinfo.exe an store.exe (Exchange) are the most common applications that will generate the same error you presently receive with SQL. Just change the threshold.

Also, as you modify the system, these levels will change. When I upgraded and activate Intelligent Message Filtering on all my SBS Server customers, I started to get process errors all over again.
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question RobW. I will keep an eye on the memory usage and just make sure it isn't having an adverse affect on the system. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to spiral out of control. I've seen a lot of similar posts with the same problem when I google it, but there's never an answer. I'll keep an eye out on it and post any more info that i find out if I find anything definitive. I do still find it odd that it stayed at an even level (400-500KB) for so long and all of a sudden spiked. It's still high today, around 1,620MB.
        Last edited by noRulez43; 2nd December 2006, 17:05.

That's pretty normal!
          You haven't profiled your memory usuage probably and the alert has remained on default.
          The problem is benign but you can do as it says and adjust the threshold.
          Last edited by teiger; 4th December 2006, 18:19. Reason: Spelling

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]

Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.