DHCP problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP problems

Hello I'm having a bear of a problem with my dhcp. Previous to today the last tech had the dchp set on our router. Well i started a while back and finally got around to wanting to make it right and putting the dhcp on our SBS 2k3 server. Well the problem I'm running into is that i can not find a wizard that does this and if i do it manually by adding the Dhcp server service through the add/remove programs it doesn't start. What it does if you goto the services page, it is set for automatic but not started. If you try to start it it starts then it just stops as soon as it starts. Any help on this would be great I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong i even tried to restart the server after the installation of the DHcp service as well.

Re: DHCP problems

I'm not sure if it's different in SBS but did you:
    -Authorize the server http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
    -Activate the Scope http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hello Starknight
      Disable DHCP service on your router before starting it on your SBS server. You can not use Router and SBS server DHCP at same time.
      cheers

Comment

thank's for the help i'll try that out this morning. I'll see if that works. On a very big down note though, i think i'm going to have to rebuild the server because in the next week or so were switching the mail from a external host to the exchange on our sbs box. Problem with that is that the current domain is wsg.local and i'm pretty sure it's just about impossible to rename a sbs domain if i'm wrong on this that would be awesome but i don't think that i am.

Comment

Originally posted by Starknight View Post
          thank's for the help i'll try that out this morning. I'll see if that works. On a very big down note though, i think i'm going to have to rebuild the server because in the next week or so were switching the mail from a external host to the exchange on our sbs box. Problem with that is that the current domain is wsg.local and i'm pretty sure it's just about impossible to rename a sbs domain if i'm wrong on this that would be awesome but i don't think that i am.
          Slow down there, tiger. No need to rename the domain. You can add any domain name you want to Exchange.
          Do some ing and start a thread in the Exchange forum if you have questions.

I'll get you started
          http://www.petri.com/configure_excha...er_domains.htm
          http://www.petri.com/configure_mx_re...il_traffic.htm
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

ok will do and did a bit of googleing . But i was under the impression that if we have .local that incoming email might have a bit of a problem? guess i'm wrong off to the exchange fourms i go. thank you for the heads up

Comment

Originally posted by Starknight View Post
              ok will do and did a bit of googleing . But i was under the impression that if we have .local that incoming email might have a bit of a problem? guess i'm wrong off to the exchange fourms i go. thank you for the heads up
              I would stay here since it is really an SBS question. I be there is a wizard that will guide you through the process.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

OMG!
                There is NO (yes I'm shouting) repeat, NO connection between the AD domain name and the email domain name. Yes this is an AD issue if you like and not SBS, Exchange or any other app.
                In fact it is slightly more secure in that even if you did publish the LAN DNS to the internet, no-one would probably get to station1.domain.local whose IP is 192.168.16.25 from the internet anyway.
                The only problem known of with .local is if you try to introduce Mac OS X to the LAN.
                RENDOM (REName DOMain) = BAD in SBS and usually not worth the effort.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X