No announcement yet.

How prepare for Disaster with SBS?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How prepare for Disaster with SBS?

Ok we all know only one SBS server per domain. and with that I'm assuming if you add another Win2k3 server as a domain controller you can seize the FSMO roles if the SBS goes that correct?

Per the following link states that
    " All the flexible single master operations (FSMO) are restricted to running on the Windows SBS server." but also states you can add additional servers for domain controller redundancy.

If my SBS goes down and all the FSMO roles have to be on SBS, and only one SBS is allowed in a single domain, how can an additional Standard Ed 2003 Server be redundant? Can you still transfer\"take over" roles if the SBS server goes down on a Standard Edition 2003 server?

Making DHCP, DNS, and GC redundant is the easy part. Is there a way to make the other parts of SBS redundant, such as Exchange, SQL or Sharepoint?

As far as data is concerned I understand that DFS is not an option in SBS. I guess I could use SyncToy but that is a pretty cheesy way out, although I'm forced to use it over a WAN currently between to File Servers. Any other suggestions for SBS redundancy?

I believe there is a whitepaper out there somewhere but I haven't found it yet.

ps....Backups are being done on seperate server and the drives are in a hardware mirrored array already. I would have preferred RAID 0+1 or RAID 5 but limitiations existed.

Re: How prepare for Disaster with SBS?

Have you read the paper "Learn how to restore the server"? It's right there if you open up Server Mangler (Manager) /Backup.
    Redundancy in SBS is not usually an option, since if your server is down, the best practice is to get it back up as soon as possible, instead of seizing FSMO roles etc. If you do that you will have problems getting your SBS back online again. It's not impossible to do- just not worth the effort in the case of a real disaster recovery.
    BTW DFS works no problem in SBS - it just doesn't have the DFS-R option of W2K3 Server R2. So if one byte in a file is changed, the whole file is transferred instead of the change.

I don't think this redundancy is specific to SBS either. I think any small single-server type domain, does not always benefit from the introduction of a secondary DC. Have a good DR plan in place which lets you get you main (only) server back up in the shortest time, and you will be on a winner. Since such a server usually has most of the important data on it anyway - it's worth getting it back in action ASAP.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: How prepare for Disaster with SBS?

Just a suggestion look into Symantec Backup Exec Server recovery. Excellent product. I use it for all my customers. So basically if the server crashes I can restore it in an hour or so.