NNTP newsfeed not working in SBS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NNTP newsfeed not working in SBS 2003

I just moved my office network from Server 2003 to SBS 2003 Standard. On my old network I had a newsfeed set up in ESM that pulled a few newgroups from an
    account I have at newshosting.com

I can't get it to work. The public folders are created in Microsft Outlook but there are no messages coming in. The event viewer shows this:

The virtual server 1 has completed an active feed from/to unlimited.newshosting.com. Status is SUCCESS.

I turned on logging but there is no errors in the log. I set newshosting.com up in the Outlook news reader and it works fine downloading headers so there is not problem with the service being up. Any idea how I can go about tracking down the problem? I have recreated every, start/stopped the virtual server and the NNTP service.

The server requires authentication and everything is set up the way it was before following the 'how to' that's posted here.

No ISA installed.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: NNTP newsfeed not working in SBS 2003

Did you use the CEICW to connect to the Internet? Do you have one or two NICs in your server?
    You may have to allow the NNTP through the RRAS firewall, if that is operational.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Re: NNTP newsfeed not working in SBS 2003

Thanks for the reply, but just one NIC operational. Funny thing, I get two positive events logged. One is a successful connection to the provider, and the other is a successful pull:

The virtual server 1 successfully connected to unlimited.newshosting.com to
      initiate a feed.

Followed by this:

The virtual server 1 has completed an active feed from/to
      unlimited.newshosting.com. Status is SUCCESS.

There is no firewall in place other than my Netscreen. I can telnet into unlimited.newshosting.com on port 119.

I know the newsfeed is not being pushed, but for the hell of it I forwarded 119 to my SBS server.

I tried stopping the virtual NNTP server and then hitting the 100% rebuild button. I backed up all the files on my old server in c:\inetpub\nntpfiles, tried copying them over to the new server, deleting and recreating my feed, start/stop the NNPP service, etc.

I ran out of options to try. I am getting an MMC error in a couple of objects in the Exchange System Manager but I have not bothered to reinstall that because I can't see it part of the problem

Any ideas? Thanks.
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Working...
      X