This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot see external website

Probably a pretty simple question for those who know more than me!
    I am providing support for 'thecompany' but www.thecompany.com is hosted by a third party.
    Workstations on the local network cannot view www.thecompany.com on their browsers (but no problem with any other external urls).
    From the local network, I can ping the IP address of www.thecompany.com but not the name (host not found).
    So I think it's a DNS issue. Do I simply remove the thecompany.com forward lookup zone entry to enable access to www.thecompany.com from the local network?
    TIA

Re: Cannot see external website

Not being an SBS guru can you not just create a new 'A' host record with the IP address of the website?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

is your AD domain called 'thecompany.com'? If it is you will have to manually add the IP of the website to local DNS. (WWW)

Kinda what m80arm said.
      Last edited by Lior_S; 14th November 2006, 15:36. Reason: Spelling
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've saidĒ - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks guys - that was the information I needed - and I read up on DNS records etc and have a better understanding now.
        GG

Comment

No Problem

Remember, if you need any more help you know where to find it.

Let us know how you get on

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If you want to read up even more on this, use "your favourite search engine" to look up Split DNS.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks guys - problem solved!
              And thanks for that info, Teiger.

Comment

Working...
              X