SBS 2003 Installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 Installation

Hi, I am installing New windows 2003 SBS R2 as a fresh Domain controller. During server setup it is asking me to install server tools intranet....... and Exchange Server. At this moment we have no plan to install exchange to receive e-mail from the internet and I don't have any experiance with exchange server.
    What are my options Should I still go ahead and install the exchange for intranet Like smallbusinessserver.local (for internal communication) or should I deselect the Exchange installation.

Or if I install exchange server as domain.local can I make the same domain to receive the e-mail from the internet later on.
    What are the advantage and disadvantage. Thanks

Re: SBS 2003 Installation

Accept all the defaults, install Exchange and use it for inter-office communications or don't use it at all (for now).
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Thanks for your Recomendation Rob, I started the installation with the default Options, I just choose different path for shared file and Fax archive.
      Can I use the users outlook 2003 for interoffice and POP3 (Internet mail) at the same time. Because some users have two or three POP3 account in the same mail box.

Comment

Install it all, close down services you don't need. But if you want to use mail internally, you will need exchange running anyway. However there is no connection between the domain name used internally and your external e-mail doamin name. In fact you could call your internal domain MYINTERNALDOMAIN.LAN and still be known as COMPANY.COM externally. This is all easily handled by the CEICW.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by kamver View Post
          Thanks for your Recomendation Rob, I started the installation with the default Options, I just choose different path for shared file and Fax archive.
          Can I use the users outlook 2003 for interoffice and POP3 (Internet mail) at the same time. Because some users have two or three POP3 account in the same mail box.
          Absolutely! Use can use the POP3 mail connector to 'pull' the e-mail from a variety of POP3 mail accounts and deposit the e-mail in the local users mailbox. There is only one mailbox and it can have inter-office e-mail as well has have POP3 e-mail dropped in their too.

You could also decide *not* to use the POP3 mail connector and set up the Exchange transport in Outlook 2003 and a POP3 transport. Unlike Outlook 2000, Exchange and POP3 get along well in the same Outlook profile in Outlook 2003.

When Exchange is installed and users are added to the local domain, a global address list is created for the users based on the local domian. This gives you the ability for inter-office communications.
          Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Thanks, to all of you for providing help,

I had one or two glitches other then that the installation went fine.
            First of all the installation finished with some error. I tried to re-run the setup but setup failed again, so I decided to do the fresh installation. which was a good decision.

During the user setup (using //server name/connectcomputer) one Laptop give me some grief because it has two network card enabled (wireless and Local LAN) as soon as i disabled the wireless everything is fine.

Now it is time to secure the network with some Antivirus, I need some advice.
            Should I install Antivirus on the SBS2003R2 domain controller or Install a windows 2000 server as member server on a different machine and Install AV on this member server.
            Also which AV is best for a small network of 15 Computer??

Comment

Originally posted by kamver View Post
              Now it is time to secure the network with some Antivirus, I need some advice.
              Should I install Antivirus on the SBS2003R2 domain controller or Install a windows 2000 server as member server on a different machine and Install AV on this member server.
              Also which AV is best for a small network of 15 Computer??
              You should install antivirus on ALL the computers!!! Also, you'll need to get some antivirus specific to Exchange for the SBS server.

I've used Trend Micro's Office Scan (their small business offering) for the past year and I don't like it because it's not very robust. I was using Symantec the two previous years and it was definitely more robust but there was still something I didnt like (can't remember off the top of my head).
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
              X