duplicate name exists on network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duplicate name exists on network

I rebooted my sbs last night, and two messages popped up saying "A duplicate name exists on the network". So, I did an nbtstat-n and this is what I got:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nbtstat -n
    Server Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [10.1.1.75] Scope Id: []
    NetBIOS Local Name Table
    Name Type Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    GLENDOSERV <20> UNIQUE Registered
    Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [169.254.56.166] Scope Id: []
    NetBIOS Local Name Table
    Name Type Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    GLENDOSERV <20> UNIQUE Registered

The 169.254.56.166 is the address of the nic that is not in use on the sbs(the second nic). Is this showing that GLENDOSERV is registered under both IPs and that is the problem? If so, how do I resolve this? 169.254.56.166 shouldn't be in there at all I wouldn't think since it's not an active NIC.

Re: duplicate name exists on network

ugh...I just went over, right clicked on the nic, and said disable. Then everything started working again just fine. I don't see why it worked so long the way it was and then all of a sudden stopped. Oh well.

Comment

Re: duplicate name exists on network

Thanks for a) solving your own problem and more importantly b) sharing the solution with us!
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
      X