Sbs And Dns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sbs And Dns

Some info to start: I have an sbs 2003 R2 on a one-nic setup.
    It goes: modem->router->sbs AND PC's.

I have a question. For my workstations, I have to have my primary dns set to my sbs, and then I need an alternate dns set at 4.2.2.1 to actually pull up any pages on the internet from my PCs. I was under the impression that all I would need under dns servers would be the ip to my sbs and the sbs would take care of the name resolution. What should be the dns setup of the sbs? Or is my router the problem? On my router I only have the ip address of my sbs set as the dns. Is this setup incorrect? Let me know if I'm not making this clear. It's getting a little jumbled in my head.

Re: Sbs And Dns

It goes like this. It doesn't matter what you put on your router but usually it is left to default and so it takes the DNS supplied by your ISP. You correctly point all your stations and SBS to the SBS itself and the DNS on the server has your ISP's DNS set as forwarders. Do NOT set DHCP on the router, and if you UTFW it will set the DNS forwarders for you.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

In the DNS service properties on the SBS server, click on the 'forwarders' tab and enter the DNS address(es) of your ISP. On your server the DNS server should point to itself. On the workstations, the DNS entry should be set to 'automatically' obtain. In the scope options for the DHCP server, you enter the IP address of the server for the DNS server.

SBS will cache lookups. the idea is that you can minimize network traffic if the SBS server can resolve the llokups. If it can't, then it will forward it to your ISPs DNS servers as configured in the DNS properties.
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

So I should take off dhcp on the router and assign all PCs a static ip address?
        Out of curiosity, what does UTFW stand for?

Right now I have internet access on all pc's but not my server. I can't even ping an ip address from the server. Here's an ipconfig /all of the server

Windows IP Configuration
        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : glendoserv
        Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Glendo.lan
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Glendo.lan

Ethernet adapter Network Connection:
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #2
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-8B-35-03-85
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.20
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.126
        Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.126
        NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client)
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-8B-35-03-83
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.75
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.75
        Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.126

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
          In the DNS service properties on the SBS server, click on the 'forwarders' tab and enter the DNS address(es) of your ISP. On your server the DNS server should point to itself. On the workstations, the DNS entry should be set to 'automatically' obtain. In the scope options for the DHCP server, you enter the IP address of the server for the DNS server.

SBS will cache lookups. the idea is that you can minimize network traffic if the SBS server can resolve the llokups. If it can't, then it will forward it to your ISPs DNS servers as configured in the DNS properties.

I might be looking in the wrong place because I don't see a forwarders tab. How do I get to the dns service properties?

edit: OK, I just found the forwarders and there are two of them set to my isp's dns so I don't know what the problem is.
          Last edited by noRulez43; 31st October 2006, 17:30.

Comment

UTFW is like RTFM, but refers Using The Flippin Wizard !
            In Administrattive tools open DNS Server. On the name of the server, rt-click/Properties. There you will find the forwarders tab but UTFW (The CEICW - configure e-mail and internet connection wizard) will do it for you if you say using a router and it asks you the ISP DNS servers.
            As I stated previously, turn OFF DHCP on the router, turn ON DHCP on the SBS.
            TIA

sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
              UTFW is like RTFM, but refers Using The Flippin Wizard !
              In Administrattive tools open DNS Server. On the name of the server, rt-click/Properties. There you will find the forwarders tab but UTFW (The CEICW - configure e-mail and internet connection wizard) will do it for you if you say using a router and it asks you the ISP DNS servers.
              As I stated previously, turn OFF DHCP on the router, turn ON DHCP on the SBS.

Oh, I see. Well, I already UTFM then. I double-checked and both dns servers are in there for forwarders. The only thing I haven't done is started using the SBS as the DHCP server because I don't have all the users migrated over yet. I still have no internet access on the server though, which seems strange seeing as how everything was working just fine a few days ago.

Comment

You said:

"So I should take off dhcp on the router and assign all PCs a static ip address?"

Nope. You've got it all wrong. (It's nice to be able to say that)

You have two issues going on here - one is your DNS and the other is your DHCP.

Let's start with DNS. When any of your workstations or when your Server tries to find a domain IP address (such as www.petri.com) you want that PC or Server to first ask the closest DNS server. That closest server would be your SBS server. If it knows the correct IP, then the web page is accessed in the least amount of time.

But your SBS Server may have never accessed www.petri.com before, or the DNS cache may have been flushed after a certain amount of time. So if your SBS server gets a request for www.petri.com and doesn't know the answer, it gets to make a call to another DNS server outside your network. The closest DNS server outside your network is one of the DNS servers that your ISP provides for you.

So in your DNS configuration, you add one or more DNS "forwarders" to your DNS configuration.

When the SBS server looks up an address, it keeps that address stored in cache memory for a while, so if you keep looking up the same web page your DNS server will already have the answer.

====

The second problem is DHCP - You don't want both your SBS server and your router fighting with each other over who is the boss. Besides, you have more control over the SBS characteristics of DHCP.

You have all your PCs get their IP address, default gateway, WINS server, and DNS server information from the DHCP scope properties on the SBS server.

You name the SBS server itself as the primary DNS server and the WINS server.

Here's what I like to do for a class C network: (an internal network that has 255.255.255.0 as a subnet mask)

Let's say that I am using a 10.0.0.x network. I always set the router (as the default gateway) to 10.0.0.1. I leave 2 thru 19 for infrastucture, like switches, IP phone systems, and other hardware. I set my first server with a static IP of 10.0.0.20 and continue up to .39 - and then I allow network printers to have 40 thru 59. I reserve 60 thru 79 for any special PCs that need a static IP for some oddball reason. Then from 80 thru 254 I allow workstations to pick up an IP.

10.0.0.x
                01-19 Router and other infrastructure
                20-39 Servers
                40-59 Printers
                60-79 Special Static IPs
                80-254 general use by DHCP enabled workstations

How do you do this without complicate math problems concerning subnet masks? When you create the scope, you create a scope that includes 10.0.0.1 thru 10.0.0.254 and then create an "exclusion range" of 10.0.0.1 thru 10.0.0.79.

There are a lot of other good reasons for doing it this way as well.

====

You get to the forwarders tab by going to DNS under administrative tools. Right click on the server and click properties. The forwarders tab is the second one there.

You can add more than one DNS forwarder, then move the closest and most reliable ones to the top of the list.
                Last edited by rderby; 31st October 2006, 18:16.

Comment

You also need the External NIC 10.1.1.20 to point to the SBS DNS of 10.1.1.75 What is 10.1.1.126? and why is it providing WINS?
                  TIA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                    You also need the External NIC 10.1.1.20 to point to the SBS DNS of 10.1.1.75 What is 10.1.1.126? and why is it providing WINS?
                    I never told anything to pick up 10.1.1.126 because that holds no meaning to me so it seems like it was given that by DHCP from the router. Does that need to be changed? Also, I think the external NIC that I am using has it's DNS already set to 10.1.1.75...doesn't it? The second one in the list is the one that is enabled in my one-nic setup.

Comment

Funny...UTFW came in real handy there. I decided to just run CEICW again and change nothing and when I was done...boom...internet access on the server. Okie dokie.

How do I set the primary WINS server and should this be set to the ip address of the sbs?

edit: so I come back from lunch and have to re-run CEICW to get internet connectivity for sbs again. hmmm...
                      Last edited by noRulez43; 31st October 2006, 21:12. Reason: update

Comment

SBS should be the only DHCP on the network/subnet/collision domain. It should be providing itself as the WINS. Turn OFF DHCP on the router. Let SBS manage your network - it is a simple one and SBS was built to handle it.
                        TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X