Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about wsus

OK, I'm now configuring wsus.

When I did a manual sync, it had about 2,000 updates. Is it safe to just go ahead and approve all of them, or do I have to look through them one by one and approve them? I'm not sure how WSUS works, but I'd assume it'd only install an update if it was for the workstations os and all that. Am I wrong?

Re: question about wsus

Hi

i would be careful with aprove all updates... not that you update some of your servers... (exchange - dc - etc) without to check the update first...

sort them by OS type and aprove only updates for your desktop's.. OS's

or use GPO for all the computers that you need to update... so you dont need to worry that you update your servers
    Last edited by yaniv; 25th October 2006, 19:49.
    MCSE 2000 Done
    RHCE Done

Comment

I suppose the answer is "get R2" - it configures WSUS for you OOB (Out of the Box). You basically have two categories:Workstation - where everything gets approved and installed and ; Server - where everything gets downloaded and notifies ready to install.
      Or get the white paper from MS site about installing WSUS on SBS.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
      Last edited by teiger; 25th October 2006, 22:36. Reason: Add Link
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Teiger, now you have me wondering if I did something wrong.
        I do have R2. I followed instructions on installing wsus from a book I have that I believe came out before R2. Now I'm not sure what to do. I just went to http://myservername:8530/wsusadmin. Nothing seemed to be set up in there though, so I followed the instructions from the book.

I just deleted the GPO I made because I realized there were already 3 of them set up for WSUS from the R2 install. I just hope I didn't screw anything else up on the config page.
        Last edited by noRulez43; 25th October 2006, 22:59.

Comment

update: never mind, sorry: I had the "Approve for Installation option enabled for all computers. I just disabled that, and hopefully I won't get that message again.

I got this message in my report this morning:

"Windows Small Business Server (Windows SBS) Update Services is not running because it automatically turns off if you customize Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). For a list of specific settings that cause Windows SBS Update Services to turn off, see the Microsoft Web site. Even if WSUS is managing updates for your network, the accuracy of the status in the Windows SBS monitoring report or on the Update Services home page cannot be guaranteed. To use Windows SBS Update Services, reverse the changes that you have made to WSUS or reinstall Windows SBS 2003 R2. "

Is there a difference between Windows SBS Update services and WSUS? Is there a way to fix this w/o having to reinstall sbs 2003? I checked all the settings listed in that microsoft site that they give you a link to and they seem to be OK. Do I have to turn wsus off? If so, how do I do that? I'm thoroughly confused now.
          Last edited by noRulez43; 27th October 2006, 15:13.

Comment

UTFW
            Don't Customise - setup customises it for you!
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X