backup exec 10d - backup media size?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup exec 10d - backup media size?

I have an sbs that I am installing Symantec Backup Exec 10d on. I have 5 160GB drives in a raid 5 array. What size backup media do I need? I have no idea how backup exec compresses or anything. Would a 320GB drive be over doing it or not enough? I want to buy two and just swap them every day. I also was wondering if you could fit more than one day's backup on a drive without erasing the old one.

Re: backup exec 10d - backup media size?

How much data do you currently have??

Are you going to be backing up to tape or HDD???

Comment

I'll be backing up to an external HD. When I migrate everything over to the server, I might have 200 GB max on the server.

Comment

Originally posted by noRulez43 View Post
        I'll be backing up to an external HD. When I migrate everything over to the server, I might have 200 GB max on the server.
        Ok.

You'll need an external HDD that could accomodate the 200GB data at a compression ratio of 1:1. You cannot and will not ever acieve the compression ration of 2:1, or at least i haven't.

You would then setup a backup job to disk job and away you go.

SEE HERE

Also you can fit more than one days job on a single ddrive. You would just set the job to APPEND to the disk.

Comment

I am moving this to the SBS Forum since Steven may have some appropriate input regarding backing up and using Backup Exec 10d on an SBS setup.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Since you asked....
            My input is minimal since I no longer see the justification in using BUExec at a cost of ~$600 over the built in NTBackup and wizard. In any case compression on a "pure" SBS just after installation is a ratio of approx 1.1:1 ie about a 10% gain. I have had good experience of restoring from the NT Backup (including Exchange). Moreover, between e-mail retention and Shadow Copy Previous Versions, I see the full back up more as a Disaster Recovery method than anything else.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X