Adding New Users To a New Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding New Users To a New Domain

Hello i finally talked the owners of my company into switching to a domain. YESS!!. All and all it is going fairly well. The one problem i'm running into though is that if the user accounts i create are not part of the domain admin group which i know is terrible, then when they log onto the domain they get no start bar or icon's on their desktop. Now i went and checked to make sure hide icons was disabled in the domain policy and i checked everywhere i could to see if there was a setting wrong. Any help on this would be awsome. As i am rather green just out of college and kinda got thrown into the position of Admin.

Re: Adding New Users To a New Domain

I have to ask just to be sure, did you join all the computers to that domain?
    Is there a GP that was created but never used, till now?
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've saidĒ - Alan Greenspan

Comment

yea they are all joined to the domain. It's a rather fresh install of sbs 2003. Like i said if the user is a member of the domain admin group they can join the domain and see there desktop no problem as soon as there not a member of the admin's group they don't see anything at all but it say's they log in just fine, just no desktop icons or start bar. But if i ctrl-alt-del it say's i'm logged in as that user. it's really odd can't seem to find any info about it on the web.

Comment

Did you create the users using the Wizard in the management console? And then use that to create the computer accounts. Finally did you add the computers to the domain by connecting them by using the site \\<sbserver>\connectcomputer? If not, then you are asking for trouble......
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi StarKnight,
          All your users when they log in first time, they will get empty desktop. for defining desktop setting, short cut and icon u need to create user profiles. u can create roaming user profile or simple profile. Also one thing u can do is to log in to computer by using each user account. modify their desktop and log off

Comment

Ok first no i didn't use \\server\connectcomputer. Nor did i use the wizard to create accounts.. I just made the accounts in the users folder in AD. My network bandwidth and the computers really can't handle Roaming profiles. I am running on some old old hardware kinda suck's but that's what i got. Ok Now onto ahmer's question. So what your saying is if i don't create a profile then when they first log onto the domain they get no desktop at all not even a start bar? Way i thought was that it would be pretty much blank but the programs installed on the local computer would show up in the start bar and the like's. IF i'm wrong on this please let me know. Going to try creating a account useing the wizard next and see how that works'. Thank you for giving me some ideas'.

Comment

So on a lark i decided to try my test account on differant machines. And low and behold it worked!!. Guess i just gotta figure out the problem on the machine i use on a daily basis lol. Just a question, it wouldn't be some local polices would it i thought that domain polices overwrite local polices.

Comment

GP gets applied in the following order:
                Local
                Site
                Domain
                OU (and then child OUs, etc)

When a GPO gets applied it overwrites any conflicting settings. It doesn't overwrite the whole policy.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

ok thank you. So you think there might be a local policy doing it ?

Comment

I guess it's possible but I don't think it's the local group policy.
                    It may have more to do with permissions. But this speculation on my part.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

hey,

did u try RSOP on an object? (right click-> all tasks-> rsop)
                      or GPRESULT? (CMD)

best regards,

Or Czerninski
                      [email protected]
                      Best regards,
                      Or.

Comment

UTFW = similar to RTFM and in SBS means Use The Flippin' Wizard!

Of course, if you are masochistic you could do it manually, and then:
                        A user account will be created with the following
                        properties:
                        Full name: Test
                        User logon name: Test
                        E-mail alias: Test
                        Home folder: \\<SERVER>\USERS\Test

The following template will be applied to this user:
                        Mobile User Template

The user will be added to the following security groups:
                        Remote Web Workplace Users
                        Internet Users
                        Mobile Users
                        Domain Users

The user will be added to the following distribution groups:

CompanyWide

The user will have the following disk quota:
                        Disk space limited to 1024 MB
                        Warning sent at 900 MB

Create computer account(s):
                        - Test01

Assign application(s) to client computers:
                        - Client Operating System Service Packs
                        - Internet Explorer 6.0
                        - Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (Service Pack 1)
                        - Shared Fax Client
                        - Acrobat Reader 7.0

Advanced Client Computer Settings:
                        - Configure Internet Explorer Settings
                        - Configure Outlook Profile Settings
                        - Configure Desktop Settings
                        - Configure Fax Printer
                        - Configure Printers
                        - Configure Fax Configuration Information
                        - Configure Remote Desktop

Apply settings:
                        - Do not allow users to modify assigned applications
                        - Do not automatically log off after Client Setup
                        - Install Connection Manager
                        - Configure ActiveSync

To finish setting up the client computer(s), including
                        network configuration and application deployment and
                        configuration, go to the client computer(s), start Internet
                        Explorer, and type http://<SERVER>/ConnectComputer in the
                        Address bar.

And then make sure all the correct GP's apply
                        I'll go for the wizard - it seems much less work! I would even consider recreating the user and computer accounts instead of all the work necessary to fix what is done.
                        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                        http://www.wintra.co.il/
                        sigpic
                        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Ok sounds like the wizard is the way to go Didn't realize it did so much really. I'll give that a shot this morning thank you all for the imput. Things are surpisingly differant in SBS compared to just normal 2003.

Comment

Working...
                          X