• Show
Clear All

• SBS License Expiration

Greetings Everyone, my first post

Here's the environment i'm involved with
    SBS 2003 (Exchange, AD, SQL (Veritas))
    Win2k (Terminal Services only)
    Win2003 (SQL only)

We purchased CALS for both SBS (25) and Terminal Services (15)

When I log into Win2K and through Control panel - Admin - Licensing, I server browse over to the SBS server and expand. Within the subfolder are two selections (Windows Server, MS Exchange)

Under Windows Sever the License setting is set to Per Server, under exchange and everywhere else it's set to Per Seat. If/When I change the Windows Sever to Per Seat (accept the warning) it will accept then revert back a short time later (I believe it's after replication timeline)

Second, I used LSREPORT.exe tool to view what is currently in the system and this is a sample of what I have:

Server License ID Keypack ID Client User Start End Issue Type
    sbs.XXX.Co 5 2 XXXXX XXXXX 7/12/2004 No Expiration Active

I have 73 of these entries (XXX = Computer names). As time has gone by computers have come and gone but it has NEVER exceeded the 25 seat mark, how do I get rid of all the old licenses? Most are active, 3 Upgraded.

I constantly get people unable to access shared drives/exchange mail folders

It usually happens when there are around 10 people on the terminal sever and some people have been disconnected but it hasn't been fully reset. When I do this, it opens up some licenses. (I can set a policy to boot them off quicker, but this is a band-aid approach)

This has been a fustrating time for me, and would like some advice on the matter.

(Not bad for a first post)

Thank you in advance for you time, knowledge and patience!
    Dominic

Re: SBS License Expiration

Are you talking about Windows licensing or TS licensing?
    If it's Windows Licensing (SBS) don't pay any attention to it. It's broken, kaputt, doesn't work! Switch off the license logging service and disable it so it doesn't restart on reboot.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I'm confused to the fact that I need to free up Terminal Server Licenses in order for users to log into Exchange/Shared drives (SBS services)

I would imagine that since Exhcange/Shares are a separate entity to TS Licenses I shouldn't need to do this since TS has plenty of licenses (there are only 10 people logged into TS max)

So why is one influencing the other?

I contacted the consulting company regarding this and they said the CD's used to install SBS were incorrect and that SBS needs to be re-installed (Something that i'm not willig to undertake any time soon)
      else I need to deal with this issue (the lovely blow off).

Am I wrong to assume that TS licenses are influcenced by SBS and should I just back up both licenses on both servers and reinstall on TS only?

I will stop the license logging service over the weekend to see what affect it has (I just hating experimenting on a live server)

Thank you

Dominic

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
        Are you talking about Windows licensing or TS licensing?
        If it's Windows Licensing (SBS) don't pay any attention to it. It's broken, kaputt, doesn't work! Switch off the license logging service and disable it so it doesn't restart on reboot.
        I switced off License Logging and disabled it, only for it to come back on automatically, regardless of rebooting.

Is there a fix to this?

Comment

Working...
        X