Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager and SBS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager and SBS 2003

I'm taking the risk of being looked upon as a retard for even considering this.

What happened?
    One of our users figured that he and hes team need to have Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager. <rambling> He is the dangerous type that knows just about enough about computers to think he knows everything. I think most of the users here has crossed the border where you find that the more you learn, the more you realise how much more there is to learn before you know 'everything' and that it'll never happen. We have removed the blinkers and are staring at the vast horizon of knowledge... </rambling> He has understood that the Outlook BCM stores the contacts made in SQL Desktop Engine and that this information can be shared with co-workers. The downside is that the information is only synchronized on a peer-to-peer basis. So the information only synchronizes upon contact, if the team is on the field a lot many of them will sit on old information since there is no central workstation that they can hook up to and synchronize.

And then?
    So he has come up with the brilliant idea that we should install Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager on our SBS 2003 server so that it may work as a Outlook CBM hub. The thing is... he's my boss, so...

The idiot part.
    I kind of folded and installed Outlook on our SBS2003 and then proceeded to install Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager and now it asks me to install the SQL Desktop Engine.

The question.
    Will SQL Desktop Engin screw with the Sharepoint SQL? Will there be a conflict? And finally, is there a smarter way to do this? I have considered Microsoft CRM but that's a lot of money and we are not using CRM to that extent, the guys just want to share a few contacts and business cards.

Thanks for listening to me and letting me share.

/Anders
    Last edited by Anders; 18th October 2006, 09:40.
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager and SBS 2003

I don't know exactly what your situation is with remote access etc but can you not store all contacts in a public folder and then grant access accordingly?

Just a suggestion

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Business Contact Manager is not only for vCards, if so your solution with a public folder would work. BCM is designed to help small businesses manage business contacts, accounts, and sales opportunities.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/outl.../overview.mspx

I've been using Google a lot to figure out a solution, and Microsoft sais: Based on feedback from our small business customers, Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager Update now works in combination with Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003, Exchange Server 2003, and hosted Exchange Server 2003.

But in the end of the document they say: Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager Update does not use the sharing functionality in Windows Small Business Server 2003 or Exchange Server 2003 to share business contacts.

I'm getting confused.
      Last edited by Anders; 18th October 2006, 10:39.
      A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

If I understand correctly, then I recommend you remove Outlook from the server immediately if not sooner. MS does NOT support this configuration. See:
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2664...208&sid=global (That one if for 2K - I don't find the one for 2K3 just now but it is basically the same).
        I (and MS) don't say it doesn't work - just that they don't support it - and you don't ever want to be in that situation if you call MS or even an MS partner like me, and they say they cannot support you.
        http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831747
        is the official way to use BCM in supported mode.

Happy uninstalling!
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X