pop3 connector

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pop3 connector

I've been reading about the pop3 connector and I'm pretty dissapointed. 15 minutes cycles as well as other limitations like bcs being dropped.

I found POPcon. Does this work with sbs 2003? It's not listed as an operating system in the requirements page. If it doesn't work with sbs 2003, is there a 3rd party tool for sbs 2003 that I could use that is good?

If I can use POPcon with sbs2003, has experience been good with this product?

Re: pop3 connector

I also have the option of pointing my mail to my server with an mx record. We use jumpline.com and they have an interface that I could modify the mx record. Would this be considered having "real mail" rather than pop3 mail? Would this be a better solution? I have a router, so if I were to use this, I'd assume there'd be some port forwarding going on?

Comment

I would say pointing the MX record to your exchange server would be best. The only port you need to forward is 25. (unless you want to provide more services like OWA)
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

One thing I just thought of: We have two macintosh users. How are they going to get their mail?

Comment

Enable POP on your exchange server or have them use OWA or use Entourage or... well here, have a read

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Nice document. Thanks! I need to test the email deal out. Is there any way to do this without disrupting all the users, or do I have to wait for a weekend and just try to get it all done during that weekend when no one is here?

Comment

You should be able to test everything before you switch the MX record if that's what you're talking about.

What specifically are you referring to?
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I'm new to this, sorry. I'm confused about how I can test it before I change the actual mx record. The directions I got from my email host say to add an a record that points to my ip address, then change the main mx record to mail.ourcompany.com. If I do that, all the mail will be routed to my server which I don't want right now seeing as how people still need to get their email. So, how can I test all this without making the change?

Comment

Are you wanting to test SMTP? What did you decide for the Mac? POP?

Is this what you're looking for? http://petri.com/test_smtp_service.htm

Whatever you want your Exchange server to do configure it and then test it to make sure it works. Once you know it works then you can change the MX record.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

For the MACs, I decided to have them use entorauge(sp?) and not use pop

I do have a question though:

1) If I'm just creating an A-record to forward mail to my server from my email host, is this considered smtp?

If smtp is what I'll be doing, then that document is fantastic.

Comment

SMTP is how email gets around the Internet. An A record is how other computers find your computer. An MX record tells what computer should receive email for a particular domain.

That's why the MX record will point to the A record which points to a server that accepts SMTP.

Have a read http://www.howstuffworks.com/email.htm/printable
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I can definitely see why you got the MVMM award Jeremy! Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Well, I did the telnet test, and all of the replies from the server matched that of the example and it ended with saying the message has been queued for delivery. However, I am not receiving the emails I'm sending to myself. Where can I look on the server to see what may be going on?

Comment

update: I sent another test to my personal email address and it came through fine. It just won't send to an internal address. Any reason why that would be?

edit: never mind, I am an idiot. I wasn't sending it to an internal address that had an exchange mailbox set up.
                            Last edited by noRulez43; 18th October 2006, 16:43.

Comment

Glad your testing is turning out OK.

Just a quick question about your setup.
                              What kind of Internet connection do you have? Is it a static IP?
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X