2003SBS and 2000 AD migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003SBS and 2000 AD migration

Currently have a Windows 2000 Server with Exchange 2000, AD, DNS, DHCP all running on one server.

We are looking to install a new Windows 2003 SBS Server onto the same domain, and migrate all the AD, DNS, DHCP, Exchange tasks top the SVS server and all the log on etc.

Am I right in saying I just add the SBS server as another domain controller let the schema replicate to the new server and turn the old 2000 server off and all is good?

Cheers

Dave

Re: 2003SBS and 2000 AD migration

Originally posted by DaveUK
    Am I right in saying I just add the SBS server as another domain controller let the schema replicate to the new server and turn the old 2000 server off and all is good?

Cheers

Dave

Um, I don't think so, but we will move this to the SBS Forum so Steven can give an expert answer.

(Steven, this sounds like it would be an ideal candidate for Swing Migration Yes/No? - DaveUK, this was a learning question for me so my Thanks for allowing me to slightly "hi-jack" your post.)
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

no problem biggles

Comment

Perfect candidate for Swing Migration
        Also take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453.
        The advantage of Swing here is that if your original server was called COMSRV (example) your SBS server can be called COMSRV and all your mappings, shortcuts, printers etc retain their usefulness on the workstations after the migration. So the cost of the kit (US$200) pays for itself by saving you touching the workstations - work it out at your hourly rate how quickly it pays for itself.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi,

Am I right in understanding that the MS article you linked to will allow me to migrate the 2K services acrross onto teh 2K3 and de-commison hte 2K box?

Dave

Comment

Yes
            Glad to see that you have the same illness as me - can't type teh, hte, THE without getting the letter order mixed up
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Cheers.,, its what happens when you reply on Words autocorrect to much

Comment

Working...
              X