Should DHCP be set to update DNS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should DHCP be set to update DNS?

Have an SBS server that is providing both DHCP and DNS services.

Event poped up telling me that:

The DHCP service has detected that it is running on a DC and has no credentials configured for use with Dynamic DNS registrations initiated by the DHCP service. This is not a recommended security configuration. Credentials for Dynamic DNS registrations may be configured using the command line "netsh dhcp server set dnscredentials" or via the DHCP Administrative tool.

Should DHCP be set to update DNS? does this matter? does it have any implications

Re: Should DHCP be set to update DNS?

Did you even attempt to use ??

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282001

The article is refering to Windows 2003 server but should be identical for SBS

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yep, I did.
      However neither google or the knowledge base or the other info available from my search explained the implication in real terms.

I understand that the option can be set in DHCP properties, I understand that the event was raised because this has not been set in DHCP properties on this partuicular server.

I am curious as to the implications of this, given the particular setup. - One a server running both DHCP and DNS, in a NATed environment

Comment

Take a look at this:

To protect against unsecured records, or to allow members of the DnsUpdateProxy group to register records in zones that allow only secured dynamic updates, you can create a dedicated user account and configure DHCP servers to perform DNS dynamic updates with the user account credentials (user name, password, and domain). The credentials of one dedicated user account can be used by multiple DHCP servers.
        http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X