Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you tweak the default path for the users folder in tge add user wizard

Hi

Our company is buying a server with SBS 2003 preinstalled on it for a client and the default user folder is on C:\, not the data drive D:\. I know that you can change the default path for the users folder during setup, but this is not availible to me with this box. I also know that you could make a new shared folder and redirect the My Docs folder to it but you would have to manually set the permissions for each folder and we want the end users to be able to add users without our help. Is there any way to tweak the add a user wizard to use a different folder than the default users folder. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by DaveC; 2nd October 2006, 01:10.

Re: Can you tweak the default path for the users folder in the add user wizard

Originally posted by DaveC
    I also know that you could make a new shared folder and redirect the My Docs folder to it but you would have to manually set the permissions for each folder and we want the end users to be able to add users without our help.
    No need to stage the folder and set the permissions if you configure the GPO properly.
    Have a read http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q288991
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: Can you tweak the default path for the users folder in tge add user wizard

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...4/26/5531.aspx

I must use Google before asking questions.

HTH ;>)
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, I did know how to move the folder and set permissions (had already downloaded and read the Microsoft doc ), what I need to know is how to get the add user wizard to automatically create the users folder on the new location on the data drive, instead of in the default user folder. Our client wants to be able to add users without having to call us to do it, thus the wizard needs to point to the new location , not the default path. I have'nt had a chance to see if using the GPO changes will change the wizard or not. I will let you know if it works.

Dave

Comment

Sorry about taking so long to post again but I was busy. Using the GPO to redirect works but does not change the default path in the add users wizard, so this would just add confusion to my clients world. Guess I just may have to reinstall the system and change the path in setup. Thanks for all the help.

Dave

Comment

Here is the fix for anyone that is interested. Move the folder and set sharing permissions and quota mangement as per the mentioned Microsoft document, then unshare the origional user folder on drive C. Now when you run the add users wizard it will automatically put the users folder in the new location that you have created. Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
              But basically you have just re-iterated what the document says. XCOPY will preserve the permissions and you are explicitly intructed how to stop sharing the original folders and configure the new ones as the USERS share.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X