Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows VPN Question

Okay guys,

I have setup Windows VPN server connection on sbs2k3, so 2-3 users can access the network.
    - I've got 1 NIC card setup with an IP address of 192.168.1.10
    - The gateway is 192.168.1.1

From my remote connection, I can connect to the network with my IP scheme at 192.168.2.0 (home IP) and this will give me access to my network and I was able to map a drive =)

When the other users try to VPN from home they can't access the network. The connection goes through but unable to ping any devices on the network. Therefore I can't map the drives.
    This is because their IP scheme at home is also 192.168.1.1 and I guess it conflicts with it.

The users are not computer/tech people. So it’s sort of difficult guiding them over the phone to have them change their IP scheme.

I've got a 2md NIC card attached to my server and was wondering if I could assign that an IP 192.168.X.X (Where X is something other than 1.1). Probably something like 192.168.10.1 and then setup the router to forward VPN connection to that NIC

Would that help resolve my issue or will it conflict in some way?

Re: Windows VPN Question

That is most definitely the problem. AFAIK, it is atypical to use a schema of 192.168.1.X for a place of business. How hard would it be to change it at work? I don't know what your topology is like. I'm honestly not sure about using the second NIC with a different schema.
    Last edited by noRulez43; 29th September 2006, 22:52.

Comment

That is why SBS default is 192.168.16.x
      And I truly hope you don't mean an IP of 192.168.1.0 at home, but 192.168.1.x
      Did you use the CEICW and Remote Access wizard to set everything up? If not, you are asking for problems.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger
        That is why SBS default is 192.168.16.x
        And I truly hope you don't mean an IP of 192.168.1.0 at home, but 192.168.1.x
        Did you use the CEICW and Remote Access wizard to set everything up? If not, you are asking for problems.
        yeah i meant 192.168.1.x
        I did use the CEICW and Remote Access wizard.

I haven't looked into the schema ahead of time and used 192.168.1.1. Thats my fault. It would be awfully difficult for me to change the IP address of the network because I have 3 hub sites connected to corporate with the schema at corp set to 192.168.1.1. I would have to make changes at a whole lot of things. I am a single part-time admin and run the whole thing so I dont have much help.

My main objective here is to allow 2-3 mobile users access to a mapped drive to share files with one another. Is there another way I can approach this issue. I thought about setting up a FTP Server...

Comment

You may be able to get around this by using the RRAS IP address of the server

When the remote users login through the VPN, an icon will pop up on the system tray saying "connected to ***" get them to double click it and then click on the details tab in there will be the "server IP address"

You can normally still browse it using \\ServerIP.

Like i say its only a work around, not a full term solution.

Or

How about allocating your remote users IP address's in the range of 10.*.*.* ?

and having your SBS box RAS interface on that too ?

Only a thought

If i can help out anymore, PM me

All the best

James

Comment

You could always try making an entry in the remote computer's HOSTS file.

Such as:
            WORK_COMPUTER 192.168.1.x

Or you could try setting the remote computer to a static IP higher than the IP of the Work computer.

Example:

Work computer is 192.168.1.5
            Remote home computer is statically set to 192.168.1.55 or even higher.

It will not matter any as long as the IP you set has the same subnet mask and default gateway PLUS the dns servers.

-Chris

Comment

But if the home computer/network's "native address is 192.168.1.x, you will always have routing problems. Change the addressing scheme at work. (There is a wizard - what else - to change the server IP)
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

hi ineedhelp,

Why you don't utilize the 2nd NIC and let SBS do it for you? The correct way to setup SBS Server is with two NICs, one is connected to the External Network and the other is connected to the Internal Network and let your users get the Internet NIC IP as a Gateway.

For the VPN, i would prefare it do it with ISA Server itself to control your vpnUsers to what to connect, when to connect and where to go once they are connected.

My Suggestion for you is to utilize the 2nd Interface with a Public IP or Priavte Natted IP, and they run the Configure Email and Intenet Wizard by following the whole guide in there.

Remember, by default the SBS 2003 with ISA 2004 is allowing the users to Dial-in and controlled by a Remote Access Policy in RRAS, do all the nicessary configuration there too or just overwritre the users configuration in the ADUC Console.

Hope it helps, if not here are here to help.

BR,

Habibalby
                ================================
                HND: Higher National Diploma in
                Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
                MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
                Done:VMware DSA
                ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                X