Partition Size for SBS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partition Size for SBS 2003

Steven what partition size do you recommend for SBS 2003? I am going to start playing with it on my test machines and would like to know the realistic size and not the usual Microsoft fantasy minimums/recommendations for production environments.

Any book(s) you can suggest that are really worth getting? (Sorry lamer question but I really have no idea which ones contain the good oil). Thanks

And yes, Swing Migration is on the to get list. Was also excited to see Train Signal is planning a release of a SBS 2003 R2 Lab for November. Can't wait for that to give me a jump start.

And while I think of it, what anti virus would you recommend for SBS? Ta.
    Last edited by biggles77; 28th September 2006, 08:11.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Partition Size for SBS 2003

I usually make two or better 3 partitions. C: is purely system, D: is Data and Exchange and E: is Static or fairly static data
    What do I mean by that? If SBS setup gives me a chance to move items off the C: partition, I do so. ClientApps and any Drivers or downloads get put on E: (with no shadow copy); the Fax store, Users folders and Exchange get put on D: and all the basic stuff on C: (Program Files, Windows and D & S).
    If you do that you can get away with a C: as small as 12GB though 20GB is better and E: as small as 8 GB though 12GB is better. What's left is D:
    Oh BTW I make the CD/DVD drive X: after the first SBS CD and you can let SBS know that in the registry if you feel a little adventurous. ( I Hate the CD stuck in the middle of my disk drives - for no good reason)
    BTW (2) I also haven't come round to liking SATA yet and find SCSI much better but it's a question of budget, I suppose.
    HTH
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks for that!!

Should have added it above, but what sort of drive setup do you find works best for SBS. RAID1, RAID5 or some other combination?
      Also, what backup device do you find works best with SBS and does it work well with ASR (assuming you have had an SBS disaster and used this to restore)?

Totally agree about the CD location!!
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

SBS is no different than Window for backup devices. I still find tape the best, but more and more find USB Disk solutions coming in to play. In tight budget situations, I rely on the SBS Backup wizard, (which is really NTBackup).
        I have never used ASR because it is not really necessary - it just recreated your partitions as they were more or less.
        If I could spec the servers, they would all have 5 SCSI drives - first two mirrored for System and Static Data. The other 3 are then RAID5. But YMMV. if you are using a lot of SQL apps, this may not be a good configuration at all.
        HTH
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks again for the input Steven, it is greatly appreciated.

I thought SBS may have had some different tricks to 2003 Server but it looks like it is really only the Wizards. Haven't installed it yet as MS didn't include it in the kit probably due to the SNAFU with the R2 release. Supposed to get it next months update.

When I get it running I will see if I can find some other mind numbingly lamer questions for you.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X