Stop error with SP1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop error with SP1

Most of my customers have Small Business Server 2003 and I have had no problems over the past year rolling out Service Pack 1 remotely.

SBS Service Pack 1 includes Windows Server 2003 SP1 update as well as four other updates (Exchange Server, Sharepoint, Windows Deployment, and SBS SP1).

I tried a remote install of Windows Server 2003 SP1 on a new customer and got a 'stop' error. The server rebooted and I lost my RDP connection.

The error in the event log was Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2. I have seen this error in the past and it was usually bad RAM or a bad CD-ROM - it appears memory related.

The interesting thing is there is no problems with the server. It works fine. No memory problems or anything. I can understand why the SP will not install remotely like I have many times. Also, I don't know if I should leave it alone or am I going after trouble.

If I was on site, would SP1 install in safe mode just in case I have a conflict here?

Thanks for any opinions.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Stop error with SP1

Does it still blue screen now when you reboot?
    Is it a DELL machine?
    Is the BIOS up to date?
    Have you succeeded to install Windows Server 2003 SP1 from the SBS pack?

We need more info (BTW apparently all your installations are SBS 2003 Standard since you could not upgrade ISA 2000 to 2004 by remote - also included in SP1)
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger
      Does it still blue screen now when you reboot?
      Hi Steve,

This server is also their mail server so it's 'mission critical'. I received the stop error and got the reboot installing the first component of Small Business Server SP1 (Windows Server 2003 SP1).

I do not know if it still bluescreens because I did not want to take any chances. I am 2.5 hours away from this location and I was concerned with the remote possibility that it would not come back up by itself.

Yes it is a Dell, PE 1400 or 1600. I just took the customer on a few months ago and have had enough issues to deal with without inventorying the BIOS levels. Can't say for sure if it is up-to-date but I am sure there is would be a more recent level. None of the Dell server management utilities have been installed on the server.

This particular installation is the Standard Edition.

Thanks

Comment

Steve,

You gave me an idea. I stopped a few non-essential programs and services in Msconfig, rebooted the server and ran Windows Server 2003 SP1 again. It was successful !!

I figured if the server did not come back up, I could juggle my Monday appointments and make the 2.5 hr treck down there

Thanks.

Comment

There are known issues with DELL servers that should have the BIOS updated as well as the Open Manage Software.

Glad you got it going.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X