Domain Vs Workgroup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Vs Workgroup

Hi, I just recently started working for a small art gallery that recently got SBS 2003. There previous tech is still around but only part time. He wants to keep it as a workgroup and not update the network to a domain. I am tryin to convice the owners this is not the best choice for what they want to do. Mainly one owner doesn't like to be attched to her desk and would like what i belive to be roaming profile in essence. I guess what i'm asking is if any of you know a good place for some infromation i could use to write up a pro con list. With the pros and cons of domains and workgroups. The previous techs main concern seems to be security, and being hacked. The data stored on the network is not all that important though. easily replicated if it get's corrupted, mainly low res images of art in the gallery.
    Any help would be great.

Re: Domain Vs Workgroup

Er... doesnt SBS automatically create a domain when you set it up?

Do you mean the PCs are not domain members?

(basically, can you tell us some more details about the infrastructure)

Security-wise, IMHO a domain is more secure than a workgroup as everything is handled centrally. You will also have the advantages of Exchange, ROaming Profiles and Remote Web Workplace (the killer feature of SBS)

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

well the set up is we have about 6 client pc's that are on network that is connected to the internet. there is pos actiontech dsl router set up with dhcp that gives out addy's. Then the server is behind another linksys router, because the other tech wanted it more secure... So on the linksys i had to open smtp and some ports for nortan AV corp edition. All the computers are part of a work group. And now that i think of it i'm pretty sure your right SBS does create a domain on install. It's just that nothing is connected to it. Mainly what i'm looking for is some information to help me write a report to the owners explaining to them why it would be better if we connected everything to the domain and used sbs to it's potential. RIght now a xp pro box could do what it's doing, which erks me to no end.

Comment

So you have a domain with exchange and everything, and nothing really connecting to it. Wierd!

A good starting point would be the Microsoft reasons to use SBS:
        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ation/top.mspx

Also for advantages of sbs and see what other people say

You could always tell the director that they have the equivalent of a sports car thats never been out of first gear!

Where are you based?

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In Colorado. Fort Collins. Yea i've been tryin to use annoliges for them =]. And yes we have exchange and everything but it cannot connect to the world because it's behind 2 firewalls and not setup to recive anything. It's been very frustrating watching this decent setup go to waste. I mean for petes sake he setup FTP to use as a way to transfer file between clients.

Comment

FTP file transfer.....thanks for that laugh.

I have installed SBS once (and did it "wrong") so I am NOT familiar with SBS. I leave that to smarter men than me. Steven T. However if I was in your situation, I would backup ALL the data, wipe SBS and install it the way it should be installed (and get rid of one of the routers and use the SBS firewall). Allow SBS to do what it is supposed to do.

If you try and fix this messup (not the word I would really use) it will just get you into trouble.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77

If you try and fix this messup (not the word I would really use) it will just get you into trouble.
              I believe you need to look up the acronyms FUBAR and SNAFU
              Not to mention PEBCAK and PICNIC applied to the previous admin
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

There are 3 answers to your question of domain vs workgroup IMHO
                Security, security and security or to put it another way
                Management, management and management ( because a badly managed network is usually insecure)

Single sign-on is one advantage of domains, as is group policy which means there is a default domain policy applied to computers in the domain. The XP firewall is controlled by this policy also.
                Have you never heard of RWW? eg one of its options is to control desktops in the LAN when you are outside (travelling, home etc). That can't be done on machines that aren't members of the domain.
                And the list goes on.........
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thank you all for your input definitly trying to change the owners mind and maybe get rid of their old tech. I definitly appreciate everything you all have said, pretty much reinforced what i was thinking all along.

Comment

Working...
                  X