Emails being blocked in transmission from Exchange 2000 Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emails being blocked in transmission from Exchange 2000 Server

I'm running a SBS Exchange 2000 server and Mail Exchange, which was set up by somebody else some 5 years ago.

I changed broadband supplier to a new one.

There are 3 problems still outstanding.

Although all the client PCs can access the internet, the server cannot access the internet, which was possible under the previous broadband supplier.

All incoming emails are received. However, outgoing emails are blocked. I can telnet the broadband supplier, as tested in the cmd prompt. I have set up the new smart host in the General area of the SMTP Connector and rebooted the server.

Is it the authentication aspect that is blocking the transmission - I felt there was no authentication, so did not examine that aspect. Is that the problem, or does it relate to the fact that the internet cannot be accessed on the server. Or is there another problem, that I'm not aware of.

There is also a problem routing though Port 443 on those client PCs which run XP Pro but not those which run Windows 2000 - which leads to another thought - that the firewall needs changing. Or is the Proxy Server that was set up, and moved out of the equation for the emails still causing problems.

As you can see from this ticket, Exchange 2000 is not my strong point, so any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks for any help.

Re: Emails being blocked in transmission from Exchange 2000 Server

Hello TSFMediaMan.
    Let's see...
    Originally posted by TSFMediaMan
    Although all the client PCs can access the internet, the server cannot access the internet, which was possible under the previous broadband supplier.

All incoming emails are received. However, outgoing emails are blocked. I can telnet the broadband supplier, as tested in the cmd prompt. I have set up the new smart host in the General area of the SMTP Connector and rebooted the server.
    Could be a DNS issue. Make sure names are resolved properly

...or does it relate to the fact that the internet cannot be accessed on the server.
    Probably

There is also a problem routing though Port 443 on those client PCs which run XP Pro but not those which run Windows 2000 - which leads to another thought - that the firewall needs changing.
    What "problems" are you having routing 443? Could you give an example?
    Or is the Proxy Server that was set up, and moved out of the equation for the emails still causing problems.
    When was it setup? Before or after you switched providers? Did you change the configuration of the clients after you removed the proxy?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The proxy server was set up by somebody else before I took over the administration of the server, and so I haven't delved into the proxy side. Although I disconnected the Proxy Server in the SMTP section of the outward going emails, the proxy server, which is the server itself, will still be in existence.

I feel that the reason Port 443 is unreachable, that the emails won't go out, and that I can't access the internet on the server, is because the proxy server is still set to the old ADSL provider. The advice I would like to know, is

1. Is it the Proxy Server that's stopping everything?

2. How do I update the proxy server?

3. How do I get into the ISA MMC to expand the Servers and Arrays.

Thanks

Comment

hi,

are the MX records pointing to the correct place?
        have you ammended your DNS settings to use the ne ISP's DNS servers?
        have you repointed exchange to use the correct mail smarthost (if supplied) by your new ISP?

Comment

Thanks for the interest

The 3 points were

1. are the MX records pointing to the correct place?
          2. have you ammended your DNS settings to use the ne ISP's DNS servers?
          3. have you repointed exchange to use the correct mail smarthost (if supplied) by your new ISP?

1. I made no changes to MX records on the server - I spoke to the old ADSL provider, who hold the email addresses, and they transferred mail details to the new address, so that emails are happily arriving. They said all I had to do was insert the new Smart Host.

2. Placed new DNS Settings in the TCP/IP properties of the Router input of the Server.

3. Inserted Smart Host details in the General section of the SMTP Connector.

After all that things still don't work.

Comment

If I understand correctly, you are using a smarthost to deliver your mails, so none of the above is truly relevant. If you have an authentication issue with your smarthost then check out
            http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827601 to see if it is relevant or my friend Kevin Weilbacher's blog at
            http://msmvps.com/blogs/kwsupport/ar.../08/69816.aspx

In any case remove the proxy of the old ISP - best done by rerunning the CEICW!
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Steven

Thanks - it looks as though we might be getting somewhere - is your answer the same for Exchange 2000, which the OS that is causing the problem.

Comment

My Standard answer to any SBS issue is:
                Run the wizard, then see what doesn't work.
                Really!
                The SBS Dev team put a lot of work into making it simpler for >90% of typical cases. So the wizard (called ICW in SBS 2000) is what you need.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Steven

Thanks for your support. Before I return to the SBS 2000 server away from this office, it would help me very much if I really understood what I was about to do.

Just double-checking with the following.

1. There are 2 LAN Cards the first points to the internet router, and the TCP/IP holds the appropriate Default Gateway. The second points to the hub and the server network, and the TCP/IP no Default Gateway. Everything has been set up with the new data to point to the new ADSL service.

2. When I run ICW from the SBS Admin Console will that definitely allow me to either remove the proxy of the old ISP or change it to the new ISP.

3. Will that sort out the problem routing though Port 443 on all the client PCs including those which run XP Pro

4. I canít seem to open the ISA MMC to get to the Servers and Arrays. I can see Console1, but I canít seem to expand it to configure the firewall.

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X