Running 2003sbs want to add 2003r2 DC as a backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 2003sbs want to add 2003r2 DC as a backup

I have looked through other posts. I want to add a new addtional DC running server 2003r2 to an existing SBS 2003 sp1 enviroment,

I had set up a test enviroment and had issues running SBS2003 and server 2003 with DNS and AD. SBS did not like 2003 server. I ran dcpromo. What am I doing wrong. I have heard that you can only have one DC with SBS, but have read conflicting stories.

Thanks

Re: Running 2003sbs want to add 2003r2 DC as a backup

Hi Richy!
    Originally posted by richy
    I had set up a test enviroment and had issues running SBS2003 and server 2003 with DNS and AD. SBS did not like 2003 server. I ran dcpromo. What am I doing wrong.
    Hmm, it's a little vague. Not sure I could tell you what you did wrong since I don't know what you did?
    Could you tell us the issues you were having when you added the 2003 DC?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I installed 2003 server. did dcprmo, all AD and DNS replicated over to the 2003 server with no issues. Then I tried to log in to a test XP Pro machine all was good. I took the SBS server down to make sure the network would allow login. I had issues where I was unable to logon to the XP Pro machine.

I'll rebuild my test network from scratch and then add the 2003 server in and perform DCPromo on the 2003 server I could also try adprep.

Comment

When you test it again, make the new DC a GC as well.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thank you I will and let you know what happens.

I need to go live in a few weeks. But the difference will be over a VPN and two different network IP's. I would like to set up two different domains. But higher ups' want one domain. I could do two different forests?

Comment

Originally posted by richy
            I would like to set up two different domains. But higher ups' want one domain. I could do two different forests?
            Unless you NEED different password policies for different users or replication traffic becomes an issue (even after you've properly configured Sites) then there's no need have two domains...
            unless you're looking for more hours at work.

EDIT - I should clarify that you can't have trusts or other domains with SBS http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=9678
            Last edited by JeremyW; 5th September 2006, 20:32.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Nor can you have two domains if you stay with SBS- one of its (few) limitations.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X