SBS 2000 - DNS and Name Server upates - 2 NICs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2000 - DNS and Name Server upates - 2 NICs

Hi we are running a windows 2k small business server with ISA and Exchange installed and 2 NICs with broadband to one and LAN to the other

Internal NIC
    IP 192.168.0.1 (static)
    DNS 192.168.0.1
    WINS 192.168.0.1
    Gateway n/a

External NIC
    IP 192.168.1.8 (static)
    DNS 192.168.0.1
    Gateway 192.168.1.1

DHCP gives out IP to all the workstations with
    IP 192.168.0.***
    DNS 192.168.0.1
    Gateway 192.168.0.1

when looking at the forward lookup, or using nslookup, the IP address of both the internal and external cards is returned ( 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.

when looking in the DNS forward lookup, there are two verions of the server listed there (one with each IP address) and there are 3 'same as parent folder' IP's' , the third is te VPN server IP (which is the same machine)

basicly when we connect via VPN and ping the server, it defaults to the 192.168.1.8 IP and i dont get a responce, but if we manualy ping 192.168.0.1 i get a responce.... if i remove the extra servername from the DNS list and reconnect VPN and ping the server, all is fine... but after a period of time, the DNS server adds the 192.168.1.8 IP and server name back to the DNS list

this is also causing issues with exchange sending emails out and with IMAP and SMTP remote connections

basicly when the second IP isnt listed as a server there, everything works fine, the moment the DNS entry reappears, things start to stop working again...

im not 2000 server expert and have spent days trying to work this out... im sure its something simple, but i cant find what is doing this...

any help would be much appreciated

Note: as a tempory fix i have turned dynamic update of in the DNS settings for the domain, but there has to be a better way to do this...

Daniel.

Re: SBS 2000 - DNS and Name Server upates - 2 NICs

If you configure the Internet connection via the CEICW, it will do exactly what you have done manually (and more!) The External NIC should NOT register dynamically in DNS.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

CEICW ?? is this avaliable on windows 2000 server ? as far as i was aware it was a 2003 server application

im aware the external nic shouldnt register, but if the DNS server is set to auto update, it does regardless of what i set.... the only way to stop it doing this is disabling dynamic updates, which would mean if a new PC is added to the LAN it wont register on the DNS either and will have to have a manual entry added

Comment

In SBS 2000 it was called simply ICW or Internet Connection Wizard.
        If you set it so that only the external NIC doesn't dynamically register, then it won't affect the LAN.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X