Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is VPN sensible for a large amount of users?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is VPN sensible for a large amount of users?

I work at a large school and they are pushing for access to their My Documents from home. Problem is there are 1700 students and 200 odd staff, and they want this available to everyone.

Ive got no experiance with VPN's whatsoever, or even if Im thinking in the right direction here. From what I can gather, they arnt bothered about logging on remotely, just accessing documents...so would FTP be an option?

We run ISA Server 2004 as our firewall and I believe that has either built in or add-in VPN capabilities?

Is this scenario even recommended from a security standpoint, considering the amount of users involved. And the fact that some of them are school kids, who like nothing better than to spend their time attempting to hack and break anything we have in place

Re: Is VPN sensible for a large amount of users?

Hi,

Instead of using VPN why not use terminal services or if you need the added functionality then citrix.

Terminal services will allow you to install all the applications the users will need to use and also grant them access to their my documents folders. This can all be accessed via a web browser thus not having to grant VPN access.

Just an idea

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I don't know if this would be feasible for you but have your thought about Sharepoint at all??

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...int/top10.mspx

Comment

I wouldn't go for sharepoinbt or a VPN. Take a look at this:

http://www.gleamtech.com/products/wexlite.asp

We have adapted (with the authors permission) the free lite version (as we are education too) and users have access to their home drives through the web.

Hope this helps
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for that, looks interesting, Ill try that out tomorrow

Do you have it set up where anyone can see the root, and are then prompted for their domain credentials when they try to enter their own folder, or is there a way they can log in and see just their area?

Comment

Working...
          X