Data Protection and Human Rights Acts protecting users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Protection and Human Rights Acts protecting users

Hi Guys, i've got a few queries regarding accessing emails and the different acts that protect users privacy.

We have all emails coming into the company checked by a virus and spam checker/filter, which sometimes blocks personal email. As the system does not warn either the sender or the receiver that the mail is stopped, i believe i am only legally allowed to check the sender and recievers email addresses and the subject, and nothing else.

I have had our Personnel dept on my back saying that i can read the emails without any consent from the sender or receiver as our company handbook states that if the company considers a user/s has used the company email system to send an excessive amount of personnal emails or suspects that the user is sending/viewing offensive or illegal material.

I thought i would have to notify the user/s that i would be looking and with good reason, this includes blocked emails, and users mailboxes. If i didnt, i though i would be in breach of the data protection and human rights acts? If i did notify the user with good reason i could then inspect any material and the user would not have a leg to stand on if anything was found??

I just want to have this confirmed as correct as i feel i would be breaking the law with the Personnel Dept giving me wrong infomation??

Any help would be appreciated

Rob

Re: Data Protection and Human Rights Acts protecting users

Considering that this is a site available to some 300+ countries and each country will have its own privacy laws, I think your question is a bit beyond the scope of this forum. I would suggest you contact a legal forum in your country of residence.

If you live in Australia, an employee has no rights whatsoever. Management can do any amount of employee surveillance as there are insufficient laws to regulate this topic.
    Last edited by biggles77; 17th March 2006, 13:41.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply, i'm in the UK but with regards to this forum having an international community then i agree it is just outsie of its scope!! thank you anyway!!

Comment

This may be of some help to you

http://www.dti.gov.uk/industries/eco..._200258ec.html

Comment

Nice find Wullie!!
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the link, i'll get reading!!!

Cheers

Rob

Comment

Working...
            X