Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encrypted USB stick

Hi All

We have some Kingston Encrypted USB sticks, but I have an issue with them. They have some software that runs which gives you the ability to upload the contents to a cloud storage provider, and while this can be disabled until the stick is formatted, these will get a lot of use and be formatted almost daily between customer usages.
    Does anyone have an idea od how I could backup the CDFS partition, modify the contects (remove the offending file DSLauncher.exe) then recreate the CDFS partition?
    This sort of thing is new to me and this is the first encrypted USB drive I have found that provides such a, in my view, security circumventing option. As we are based in NZ our customers have data sovereignty requirements so i need to ensure that there is no automated process that could store their data outside of the country

Re: Encrypted USB stick

Kia ora. Have a look at this and see if it helps. ChipGenius I have not used this tool so I can't say if it will work or not. Some research into your problem indicates that the CDFS partition may be imbedded in a chip on the flash drive.

As to your automated Cloud storage........FARK the Cloud unless it is a Long White One. (And no, the last smiley is NOT Speights Click image for larger version

Name:	vomit.gif
Views:	8
Size:	992 Bytes
ID:	466984 )

Easier link to download ChipGenius from
    Last edited by biggles77; 11th March 2015, 10:13.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

A quick search indicates that the stick uses ClevX USB to CLOUD software. Is there an .exe you can securely delete from the stick that prevents that component from running?
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Geez Blood, never even thought of looking at it from that direction. What a dumb shit I am. Click image for larger version

Name:	poo-explode.gif
Views:	3
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	466985
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Geez Blood, never even thought of looking at it from that direction. What a dumb shit I am. [ATTACH]6309[/ATTACH]
          Ha! Not at all I often cringe when I see other responses to threads I've posted to and think 'why didn't I think of that?" Love the gif - I save all the best ones and that's a corker

Comment

There is an exe we can delete, hence the question on how to backup and recreate the CDFS partition as that's where it is stored. You can create a txt file stating that you have declined to install the software but that gets deleted every time the drive is formatted so not an ideal solution. I had thought of making that file listed as an unwanted program under McAfee but that would generate thousands of alerts and make us look like we were under constant attack. Not good for career longevity
            Kingston have said to use a different model which doesn't have this so we will have a look at these and cancel the order that was placed for these ones.

Thanks for your replies guys really appreciate it. Have a Steinlager Pure on me! Or a Lion Red.....

Comment

Ahhh! I did not spot that! Does it say where the servers that will store the encrypted data are located? Also - can't McAfee be told to be 'quiet' when denying access to that file or when detecting it?

Comment

It looks like the data is stored unencrypted on Dropbox or similar. Kind of a stupid feature for a drive that's supposed to be storing data in an encrypted manner. We still have a few at work so I'll see if the suggestion works, but I think it is stored on a chip, and Kingston do not supply a firmware for this without the upload to cloud software

Comment

Originally posted by xspader
                  It looks like the data is stored unencrypted on Dropbox or similar
                  You gotta be shitting me. You should go and see if big Kim.Com can hack the crap out of it or is he no longer restricted to the "mansion"?

Are you sure the CDFS is on the EXE file and not embedded into a chip on the drive? This was the best info I could find but it was a fairly quick search on creating a CDFS partition on the flash drive and the posts were not too old.

I can understand the encryption requirement by why is the CDFS partition necessary?

Oh yes, DB Larger straight from the bottle encased in ice was my poison before I saw the light and stopped having those strange reoccurring weekend and Friday morning headaches. Lion Red; at least it doesn't smell and taste like Spukeights. (And I was from Gore). Also miss my Paua steaks. So much better than the rubbish abalone here in oz.
                  Last edited by biggles77; 12th March 2015, 00:14. Reason: Fix typo
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The CDfS partition loads and runs the decryption software to allow access to the data.

That's the reaction I had when I saw the upload to cloud software run, and the unencrypted stores where what was on offer. Mind you I wouldn't leave any corporate sensitive documents on mega either as you never know when the US govt will shut it down for whatever reason and it's all lost.

So the land of milk and honey has expensive kiwi beers and poor tasting food? Who would have thought. I'll be in Melbourne later today as I'm off to watch the F1 this weekend, I think they would get angry if I tried to bring you some Paua though

Comment

Originally posted by xspader View Post
                      The CDfS partition loads and runs the decryption software to allow access to the data.
                      Mmm, did wonder if that was it.

Bring Buzz Bars, Pinky Bars, Chocolate Fish and Pineapple Lumps (the Hokey Pokey will melt unfortunately) and I will pick you up from Tulla.

Bring sufficient ear protection for the race. I would suggest ear plugs and really good ear muffs. Enjoy the race and bring wet weather gear as the forecast indicates it could be a wet one.

Have fun.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X