YTD Video Downloader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YTD Video Downloader

Beware my AVG does not like the latest version of the YTD video down loader thus obliging me to block and remove it.

However amazingly I find I am allowed to use the crude method of copying the whole folder of an earlier version on my old PC with Win XP into the Program Files of this 64 bit Win 7. The YTD.EXE still works perfectly from a shortcut, but of course it will not show among the Add Remove Programs . I dunno if I would have been allowed to copy it into Program File(x86).

If any want this older safe version and it is OK for me to offer it to anyone I will upload the full Zip to my site and post the URL here.
    Last edited by GordonSweet; 12th July 2014, 08:40.

Re: YTD Video Downloader

Can't you add the downloader to the AVG Exclusion List?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I just ignore the warning that there is a new version available as I do with some others I know now want us to pay for them !!

But it seems strange YTD have not been warned to correct the problem or Google displays a warning it cannot be trusted as they do with some sites.

Could it be AVG is at fault issuing a false warning? Like I had to stop using Avast because it began issuing false Heurisic warnings on all programs compiled with BBC4W.

Comment

If you use a free edition of a program, the free edition will disable certain features thus encouraging you to buy it. The best thing to do is use free software that is truly free and which is full featured (i.e. there is no paid version).

The problem then becomes one of which free program is actually effective?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

The free versions of YTD have always done everything I want, such as download Youtube videos or convert them to other formats, even MP3. I only needed to update YTD if I could no longer download copies, perhaps because Youtube have made certain changes.

But the very IMPORTANT reason why I created this thread is to determine if ANY of you also see warnings by any antivirus with the latest version of YTD has problems? Otherwise is it because my AVG is the only one and being too fussy?

Comment

It may be worth checking the reason AVG is blocking it. For example, I'm sure a large number of members here have used nirsoft's ProduKey or similar products at various times, and this is recognised as a Hacking Tool by Sophos Anti-Virus. Likewise, so is the Sysinsternals suite.

Anything ad-supported triggers most AV products to at least warn as well, as do most remote access tools. Free AV products don't always give you much granularity over settings though, as the makers want you to buy a paid-for version as Blood pointed out.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Sorry - I misunderstood. I thought you meant you were using a free edition of AVG. However, biggles77's response is your best option. If you trust it add it to AVG's exclusion list. If you are not sure upload the exe to virus total for a check:

https://www.virustotal.com/

This will use several AV engines to scan the file and allow you to make an informed decision about whether the file is truly infected.

If you are still not happy, I use RealDownloader which allows you to download videos from web pages (where downloading is allowed) and allows you to convert them to other formats.

Comment

Thanks. I did not get a chance to use https://www.virustotal.com/ because when I just downloaded and saved the latest YTD from http://www.ytddownloader.com/ AVG immediately warned me of a threat. So rather than take a risk of it on my drive I had to allow AVG to delete.

Unless anyone else here cares to try I cannot risk it.

Comment

Here's the VT analysis page for the file:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/a...d149/analysis/

It says that Sophos gives it a green tick, but when I downloaded the file Sophos picked up a Potentially Unwanted Application in the form of a downloader.

It is likely that the installer is bundled with PUA's, but you are usually given the option to install these when installing the main product and thus can decline the installation of the extra software.

Comment

An interesting link for you to read Gordon. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...oader-malware/ Seems the later versions of YTD have some unwanted malware attached to them.

Funny that the CNET version of YTD is 1MB smaller than the one direct from YTD Downloader.whatever. Have a read of the CNET Editor's Review and maybe try it again this time maybe without the unwanted toolbar and other add-ons. Create a Restore Point BEFORE installing and then follow the steps in the first link on checking for nasties.

Failing that, check out other Youtube downloaders.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks Folks so AVG is right to issue a warning. But I do not need to risk using it as the older version still seems to download Youtube videos and convert them if needed.

If anyone wants a copy I will upload it to my site and quote the link here. I cannot be installed so you just copy the folder into Program Files and create a shortcut. But beware when you run it still asks if you want to update to the risky new version.

Comment

Working...
                      X