I believe you all will find it difficult to answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe you all will find it difficult to answer

Now this is going to be difficult for everyone on this group.

The ground: A Intel pentium 4 with 2.4 ghz. 40 GB HDD. 256 MB RAM. 3 partitions C: and D: (FAT32) E: (NTFS). Windows XP (Pro) SP2

The story: Some files were encrypted on E: with Windows in-built EFS attributes. The user forgot to decrypt the encrypted files and did a format on C: and re-installed XP (Pro) SP2. He did not even make the back-up of private or public keys.

Situation: The user is not able to open up the encrypted files/folders. He has not find any software so far on Internet do open up or decrypt those files.

The Challange: Can Anyone out there help or suggest a way to open the encrypted files after OS is re-installed???????????/

Re: I believe you all will find it difficult to answer

Without the public, private or master key then you can't decrypt those files. What would be the point of enryption if your could decrypt it with some software you could download!!!???
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

You could try using this:

http://www.lostpassword.com/efs.htm

I don't know if it really works, but it's worth trying.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
        You could try using this:

http://www.lostpassword.com/efs.htm

I don't know if it really works, but it's worth trying.

Not a bad find but i dont think it will help him.

EFS Key retrieves EFS-encrypted files from NTFS partitions. To retrieve the files, the encryption password must be known or SAM database must be present.
        In this cas the OP has neither.

Unfortunatey i know of no way of recoverig these files.

But Google does

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...covery&spell=1

Comment

Thank you all for your inputs.

Well I have tried using the demo version of elcomsoft on users computer but not being able to use it properly. There is some hope with this software as it can show me the name of files those are encrypted, which in another case I was not even able to enter the Encrypted folder (it only showed "Access Denied") but it atleast show the size of files and the name of file.

Is there anyone else who knows how these files can be retrieved?
          Is there any damage if in any case the C: drive has to be formatted again to re-install the OS?

* Since encrypted files are on a different drive.

I have found this page : http://www.beginningtoseethelight.or...very/index.php

Can anyone tell if it is going to help??

Thanks very much!!

Comment

As you have been told before, if you format the old drive and/or do not have a backup of the user's private key and/or a backup of the recovery agent's private key - then you're toasted.

If there is any chance of recovering one of the above from the old OS then DO NOT format it, try to unplug in and connect it as slave to another similar OS. See if you can use some sort of file recovery tool to recover the files in the original OS.

As for the link you asked about - I don't know that one. Try it and tell us if it helped or not.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

As you have been told before, if you format the old drive and/or do not have a backup of the user's private key and/or a backup of the recovery agent's private key - then you're toasted.

If there is any chance of recovering one of the above from the old OS then DO NOT format it, try to unplug in and connect it as slave to another similar OS. See if you can use some sort of file recovery tool to recover the files in the original OS.

As for the link you asked about - I don't know that one. Try it and tell us if it helped or not.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

As for the link you asked about - I don't know that one. Try it and tell us if it helped or not...
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

vvvsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                  X