Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Security Essentials

Hey,

Tell me, how secure, reliable and trustworthy is this antivirus?

We have installed in already in our organization network, running currently on 40 machines & 2 windows server 2003..

Before that we had symantec AV.

I read somewhere that MSE is meant for home and SME..is it?

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials

Have a read at this

http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti...rosoft_bottom/

Personally I wouldn't put MSE on corporate PC's but that's just preference and nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Have a read at this

http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti...rosoft_bottom/

Personally I wouldn't put MSE on corporate PC's but that's just preference and nothing else.
      Thanks..

Before it,we had symantec and cases of virus infection were quite common..since we changed to MSE,this has tremendously reduced...

nevertheless, am still not sure

Comment

Well, with Symantec, you know you have at least one virus per system

Of course, you do not know if your "reduced number of viruses" is real, or just failure to catch them

Getting back on topic, I have found MSE to be generally good, easy to manage and (AFAIK) as good as other AV solutions. Other opinions may differ. The price is certainly right. I would suggest supplementing it with other products -- I swear by Malwarebytes - and occasional offline scans using stand alone tools (e.g. McAfee STINGER) to confirm what is being reported by MSE
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agree with Tom. I would also add that you will need a different product for 30 of your 40 computers because the license only allows 10 installs in a non-home environment.
          http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ssentials-eula

I would look at Kasperksy or Eset. Much lighter weight than a Symantec hog.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

or bitdefender..
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks all

Now, microsoft says the software may not be used by goverment institutions or academic ones.

Are there any repercussions i may face because of installing MSE in such an institution?

Comment

In the USA I believe software piracy is a felony (don't ask me why) so there is a possibility of jail time. But if you get audited then you're probably looking at paying fines and/or being sued by Microsoft.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  In the USA I believe software piracy is a felony (don't ask me why) so there is a possibility of jail time. But if you get audited then you're probably looking at paying fines and/or being sued by Microsoft.
                  Thanks.Good to know that.

Comment

With regards to detection check out the lastest from VirusBulletin which compares reactive and proactive tests:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RA...2-Apr13-12.jpg
                    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I don't think that MSE is still a good product. I just have read Corporate antivirus comparison and MS didn't do so well.

As for Pricing, I think every one can get good pricing at the right time. I was able to buy AV when vendor was running a promotion, got discount plus additional year for free.

Comment

Originally posted by render View Post
                        I don't think that MSE is still a good product. I just have read Corporate antivirus comparison and MS didn't do so well.

As for Pricing, I think every one can get good pricing at the right time. I was able to buy AV when vendor was running a promotion, got discount plus additional year for free.
                        Which is exactly what the article you quote puts into question.

First of all, the ability to detect known viruses should not be the main method by which security products are assessed. Most AV software relies on signatures and signatures can only come from known threats. What matters is the speed with which signatures for new threats are added to a signature database.

Secondly, detecting what is already there is a minor part of what AV should be able to do. The real test of a security product is its ability to detect malicious or suspect activity, halt it and flag it for your attention. This is where heuristic scanning comes in. Some AV companies are quite proficient, others are not.

You need to look at both these metrics. The fact that a company offers 6months extra at no cost is meaningless if their product does not do the job.

The link I supplied in my last post in this thread shows Virus Bulletin's RAP tests. Vendors are ranked according to how well they detect known threats in a timely manner (reactive) and how well they detect unknown threats (proactive).

The author of the article you link to is absolutely right - IT magazines are not the place to go for authoritative assessments of AV performance, simply because IT magazines are not equipped to do professional and meaningful analysis of such a complicated and important area of IT.

https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index
                        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                        X