Web Filter software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Filter software

We are currently running surfcontrol. This software is end of life on December of this year. We were going to just to to Websence, but the maintenance fee has actually doubled.

I am looking at webroot currently.

Do you all have any suggestions?

Re: Web Filter software

We switched over from WebSense (too expensive) to OpenDns paid. OpenDns is a breeze to setup and can be used at remote sites as well that have their own on-site internet connection. The paid version gives you a bypass method to bypass the filtering for IT staff and whoever needs it. The drawback is its an all or nothing approach for your users. I can't filter a site for most people and allow it for a few, but the bypass feature sort of gets around that.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Originally posted by auglan View Post
      We switched over from WebSense (too expensive) to OpenDns paid. OpenDns is a breeze to setup and can be used at remote sites as well that have their own on-site internet connection. The paid version gives you a bypass method to bypass the filtering for IT staff and whoever needs it. The drawback is its an all or nothing approach for your users. I can't filter a site for most people and allow it for a few, but the bypass feature sort of gets around that.
      Thank you for your response. Yeah we have a couple of remote locations that use OPENDNS too. I am finding more and more that I am needing a solution that gives me more granular control. We have upper management wanting us to open youtube for training purposes, but not for everything else. So I need the ability to give access to just a link and not a whole domain.

Currently I am checking out Zscaler, baracuda and avg cloudcare.

With the remote support feature (get rid of dameware licenses) antivirus (get rid of SEP maintenance) and web filter (get rid of Websense maintenance) AVG Cloudcare looks like a no brainer, but digging deeper.

I will let you know what we end up choosing.

Comment

Sophos's new UTM product has been getting some good reviews. Also check your AV product, many of the suites now have web blocking facilities built in or as a licensed option.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

bitdefender cloud security has web control built in..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X