E-Mail Phishing - Security IE10 Vs FireFox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Mail Phishing - Security IE10 Vs FireFox

I just just received an e-mail which was obviously a phishing attempt. I was interested in which site it would direct me to, so I have tested out the link in Firefox and IE10. I was really surprised by the result so thought I would share it. Check out the attached pictures.

The phishing e-mail I got is:
    PayPal Problems United Kingdom
    PayPal
    Dear PayPal Client,
    This is an automatic message by the system to let you know that you have to confirm your account information within 24 hours.
    Your account has been frozen temporarily in order to protect it. The account will continue to be frozen until it is approved.
    Once you have updated your account records, your information will be confirmed and your account will start to work as normal once again.

This will help protect you in the future. The process does not take more than 5 minutes.
    To proceed to confirm your account information please click on the link below and follow the instructions that will be required.
    Click Here To Verfiy Your Account info
    We Are Here For You
    © 2013 PayPal Company. All rights reserved.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by uk_network; 21st May 2013, 02:26.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Re: E-Mail Phishing - Security IE10 Vs FireFox

I presume you have now reported the site to MS?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: E-Mail Phishing - Security IE10 Vs FireFox

Hi Ossian. I did submit it as soon as I seen it. I was just a bit shocked at first that IE let me open it and Firefox didn't. I have followed up and checked again today and now the site is blocked. I'm guessing that there are much more firefox users and this issue was just reported sooner.
      With IE I guess it shows that there is a need to choose 'Use recommended security and compatibility settings' on the first launch of IE as it does offer some protection against this kind of info stealing attempt. This seems to happen out of the box with firefox and is transparent to the user. I'm pretty sure many are guilty for choosing 'Don't use recommended settings' in the initial IE setup.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by uk_network; 21st May 2013, 11:57.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Working...
      X