Thoughts On Home Computers In Company Workplace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts On Home Computers In Company Workplace

How do you feel about allowing an employee bringing their laptop, or desktop to their workplace for use?

I feel that it is a major risk, and not recommended.
    Last edited by Kobe 310; 30th April 2013, 18:17.

Re: Thoughts On Home Computers In Company Workplace

Totally down to what Management want to allow on 'their' turf. You want to search for 'BYOD' (Bring Your Own Device). It's a topic gaining momentum in the commercial world, esp. at schools and so on. Obviously you'll be concerned on what level of access these 'untrusted' device can have on your system, and how to mitigate the risks of invasive software infecting your system from someone's private tablet device or laptop, after they've (unknowingly?) installed some piece of malware.

My current contract won't even discuss it, which makes things easy in that respect.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

My preference, where possible, is no non-company devices on the corporate network, and a Guest wireless network isolated from corporate network for personal devices and visitors.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I work for a realestate company so BYOD is the norm. If an agent wan'ts to bring in their personal pc or laptop and plug into our lan then they have to go through a few steps.

1. Must have a professional version of a Windows OS (So we can join said computer to domain)
        2. They must bring it into our office so we can scan for malware/virus's etc.
        3. If infections are found then it's the agent's responsibility to get it clean before we add it to the domain.
        3. We install our corporate managed AV software.

For wireless access we just ask that they have a current AV on the system and it is up to date. Our wireless network is segregated from our LAN and pretty much the only thing they can access would be the internet.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

My preference is to evolve the BYOD where you include stuff like Cisco ISE, VDI and such.
          Just treat your LAN as an untrusted environment and make your DC the trusted environment.

Can be costly though
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
            My preference is to evolve the BYOD where you include stuff like Cisco ISE, VDI and such.
            Just treat your LAN as an untrusted environment and make your DC the trusted environment.

Can be costly though
            This is what y thoughts are.

It is something that is going to evolve and mature in my opinion so stop spending money on purchasing PC's for staff and allow them to use their own.

Comment

Working...
            X