Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Suggestion

Hi,
    i am working in small business environment. I am currently using Cyberoam firewall.
    Now i want to upgrade and deploy new firewall because of some problem with current firewall .So can anyone suggest good firewall for small business environment.'
    Last edited by Rajsuvi; 29th September 2012, 08:14. Reason: edit title

Re: Need Suggestion

First suggestion would be to give your thread a better title.
    Second would be to give us rather more information
    a) What is the problem with the current firewall?
    b) What services is the new firewall needed to block or allow?
    c) Describe the current infrastructure and IT environment
    d) What sort of budget do you have?
    e) Anything else that might help people reach an informed decision
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

a) What is the problem with the current firewall?

:-Actually current firewall is not able to block particular sites that's why am searching for new one.

b) What services is the new firewall needed to block or allow?

:-Need to block sites i want

c) Describe the current infrastructure and IT environment

:-In my infrastructure i have wed server,DB Server,DNS server and nearly 125
      users.

d) What sort of budget do you have?

:- I have approx $450 to $500 budget

Comment

That wasn't so hard, was it...

I'm not a firewall expert but your budget will be the killer. If it is purely blocking sites, free solutions such as SQUID may be your best way ahead: http://www.squid-cache.org/
        It can block for you: http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclie...w=1458&bih=970
        Your $$$ would then go on suitable hardware to run it on.

Note you should look at other requirements e.g. publishing your web server to the internet and make sure it meets them too -- time spent analysing the problem is never (IMHO) wasted.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

WebTitan might be an alternate suggestion. It is a web filtering software.
          Easy to setup & maintain, can run from a workstation if you wish. and reasonably close to your budget. ($850 for 50 users) You can setup a trial and try it out.
          I find the price fair for what it gives. You might need to smile a bit extra to the people handing out the money, and sell it to them.

Squid is always good too as Ossian mentioned, just need HW to run it off, and some skills setting it up (Lots of online help available fortunately)

Comment

If its just the web filtering then you could try using OpenDns. The free version works well but the Enterprise version is very robust and has AD integration. Bad part is that you rely on dns requests to control the filtering, so you have to use OpenDns servers. Savvy users can easily bypass this will manually setting their own dns options on the client side but you can also use AD and Group Policy to lock that down or configure your edge firewall to allow dns requests/replies only from OpenDns servers.
            Last edited by auglan; 1st October 2012, 12:56.
            CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
            CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Working...
            X