No announcement yet.

Windows Firewall, Group Policy and a VPN Connection

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Firewall, Group Policy and a VPN Connection

Hi All,

I've been a vistor to the site and forum for a while now and its helped me out tremendously so far.

I'm currently working on a project to renew our connection method for our home workers. The idea being that the user will be at home or in an internet cafe and connect to our network using Cisco IP Agent.

We have a group policy that sets the proxy settings (forcing them to connect to the network to surf the Internet etc) and another that disables Windows Firewall when they are connected to the network and enables it when they are not connected. Pretty simple and effective when used in conjunction with our other security measures.

The problem we are seeing is that as soon as a user at home or in an internet cafe with their windows firewalled LAN/Wireless connection connects to the network with the VPN connection, the firewall is disabled. Does anyone know if there is a way to override the group policy and keep the firewall enabled while connected to the network over the VPN connection?

I've searched the internet and have found plenty of articles on how to manually enable or disable the firewall for a specific connection, but nothing that may help for the problem above.

Any help, suggestions or examples would be great!

Re: Windows Firewall, Group Policy and a VPN Connection

Please buy Nortel/Check Point/Netscreen SSL VPN product. This will close this issue in a short time.

Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog: