Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a firewall/reverse proxy server

Hello all,
    I am curious if anybody here has recommendations for a reverse proxy/firewall to put in front of a multi-purpose Windows Server. I am planning to host my own web site soon, along with a few other services, but I'd prefer to only have a single or maybe two ports open on the router to the outside world. On the internal firewall, I don't really care as much. I know that reverse proxies can make this happen by forwarding traffic from another port through port 80 on the outside to the normal port on the inside. For instance, I will have an XMPP server running, and the normal port for that is 5522 or something like that. But instead of having people connect directly to port 5522, I want them connecting to a proxy with only port 80 open and then have it forward the connection onto the port on the inside. My goal here is that less ports will be open, therefore, less chances of possible malicious users trying to do things they shouldn't and getting access to resources they shouldn't have access to. Now I know that Forefront TMG 2010 can do this, but unfortunately, the cost of that is out of my range at the moment, and I do not have an extra computer lying around that has a 64-bit OS, and probably not even one with a 64-bit processor. (I do have one with a 32-bit processor though, so I could theoretically put Server 2008 on it. My server is running Windows Server 2008 R2.) And since I'm on a home network, many people would call that overkill LOL. If you have any recommendations, I'd appreciate it, because to me, home networks running sites and such are just as important and valuable as those in corporate environments.

Re: Recommendations for a firewall/reverse proxy server

Budget??

I would say a SonicWALL TZ200 series would be good.

But then again a normal ADSL modem with a router will do the job as well.

Comment

In terms of budget, I'm more or less going for the software proxy solutions because normally they're cheaper. My goal is to go not too monitarily crazy. I guess around the price of a router or something. Now when you say that a router can perform what I'm looking for very well, what kind of router are you talking about? Do you mean one of the advanced ones from Cisco? That'd be good because if my family switches back to Comcast from verizon, then I'll need a router anyway. Thanks for the reminder, actually.

Comment

Are you just going to use a normal home internet connection to run the webserver?

When i say any modem/router that has a firewall built in.

Comment

I am, but that doesn't matter too much right now since there's not too much traffic going to my site anyway. I'm just trying to have plenty of internet-facing apps (FTp, XMPP, HTTP, and whatever TeamTalk's protocol is) but only have like ports 80 and 443 open to the world. That's why I was thinking of reverse proxy on the router or on the edge of the network somehow. And I am definitely thinking of getting a more advanced router than your typical home router since I consider myself more of a techie than what consumer products offer.

Comment

Working...
          X