Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forefront TMG Client

Hello,

I am getting a little confused now, we have been using Forefront TMG 2010 for over half a year now. It works, provides good protection and is easier to use than our old ISA 2006.

So I was looking at what else Forefront can do and seem to come across a client.

But I cant find answers for these, so please feel free to chip in
    1. Why do I need Forefront Client on Desktops/Laptops computers?
    2. Is Forefront Client and Forefront Client Security the same thing?
    3. If yes to (3), why can I see on some tutorial sites for another installer? (http://helmersblog.nl/2008/03/how-to...rity-topology/)
    This is what I presumed before I started looking around.

"Forefront TMG is a firewall, you can install clients on machines to improve security and traffic between TMG server and client is authenticated and it allows ports to be opened if not in a rule for an application?"

BUT this now seems wrong.

Very confused!

Re: Forefront TMG Client

Forefront Client Security is Microsofts Anti-virus software, so totally separate from the Forefront TMG client, which is used to ensure web and other internet traffic passes through the TMG
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Forefront Client Security is Microsofts Anti-virus software, so totally separate from the Forefront TMG client, which is used to ensure web and other internet traffic passes through the TMG
      So its purely for allowing traffic through the firewall without a set rule?

Comment

1. You don't necessarily. "Clients" (I.e. clients of the TMG Server, I.e. all machines on your network) can be one of three things: Web Proxy clients (Using TMG as a proxy server), SecureNAT clients (Using TMG as default gateway but no proxy) or Firewall Clients (Using the TMG Client Software). The TMG Client is used predominantly when complex protocols must be allowed outbound through the firewall.

2. No. That's Microsoft and their insistence on using the same prefix name for product groups. Forefront for all security products, Dynamics for Business productivity products etc.

3. See 2.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Andy, have you checked out http://www.isaserver.org/ ? Don't be fooled by the name.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The Forefront TMG firewall client is used to provide proxy services for non-proxy aware applications. It is a layer service provider (LSP) that intercepts winsock calls and forwards them to the TMG firewall. You can read more about the client in my article at ISAserver.org, which sadly I can't post the link here because I'm new. However, use the following Bing search and you'll find it:

forefront tmg firewall client site:isaserver.org

It will be the second link on either Bing or Google.

Thanks!

Richard Hicks - Forefront MVP

Comment

I wouldn't use the Forefront Client unless it is completely necessary since it gives more administrative problems. With the use of SecureNAT and transparent WebProxy features of TMG2010 you shouldn't have a problem with any application provided that you have configured the firewall rules and configured the appropiate protocols on TMG.

Comment

Working...
              X