No announcement yet.

must be logged in as Administrator...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• must be logged in as Administrator...

I am trying to load a program where I must be logged in as the Administrator.

1. Using Windows XP Home Edition.

2. First tried changing the registry by:

Start the Registry Editor
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ SpecialAccounts \ UserList \
    Right-click an empty space in the right pane and select New > DWORD Value
    Name the new value Administrator
    Double-click this new value, and enter 1 as its Value data
    Close the registry editor

That let me see Administrator but not at the Welcome screen, I had to change one of the accounts and then I could see Administrator, but I couldn't ever determine how to logged on as the Administrator from here because I had set up another administrator, and when I tried to swith users it would not let me log on as the administrator even when i changed the password logged on as another administrator.

3. I then did this:

a. At a command prompt, type "control userpasswords2" and press Enter to open the Windows 2000-style User Accounts application.

b. Orginally "Lisa" was the administrator going throught the User Accounts window, but when I ran the command above I changed that account to just a user.

c. I didn't set any passwords for Lisa or Administrator.

d. I can get on the computer as Lisa but now I can't change anything because that user is just a user.

e. when I try to log on using Administrator it says I am restricted...

If I just reload Windows will this straighten this out and can I get it so I can have a user with the name Administrator and make that the administrator without a password--this is a stand alone home computer...
    Last edited by emm; 12th November 2005, 00:40.

Re: must be logged in as Administrator...

in the welcome screen press ctrl+alt+delete twice. it will load the "old" welcome screen.
    Good Luck

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
    the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!