2k3 File Permissions & Shares How to's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k3 File Permissions & Shares How to's

I need to explain to some NT Admins the File Permissions and Shares on 2k3. Does anyone have an idea on how to best explain it? What I'm saying to them isn't being understood. If there are any analogies or doc's out there--I'd be very grateful!

TIA

Re: 2k3 File Permissions & Shares How to's

What have you told them? If they can't understand file [NTFS] permissions (which haven't changed drastically since NT4) they might be helpless.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

The only change I was caught by was SHARE Permission for Everyone was set READ. (Previously it was Full Control (ALL) (ALL))
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I've drawn pictures, I've given the Check-this-box and then check-that-box step...but I can't seem to get the concept to stay in their tiny little brains. I think they are paper MCSE's in disguise--despite being employed in IF. I'm going back to the basics and trying to write something I can explain to my 9yr old. If she can understand it, they may, just may, be saved.

Comment

Originally posted by cmj0002
          I've drawn pictures, I've given the Check-this-box and then check-that-box step...but I can't seem to get the concept to stay in their tiny little brains. I think they are paper MCSE's in disguise--despite being employed in IF. I'm going back to the basics and trying to write something I can explain to my 9yr old. If she can understand it, they may, just may, be saved.

Why dont you make it easier and use the standard convention of making all share permissions as EVERYONE - FULL CONTROL and only using NTFS permissions to assign the individual rights. This takes out the confusion of having both share and NTFS permissions as it can get very confusing when using both.
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Maybe this helps

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/592/1.html

http://www.techtutorials.net/tutoria...fs_share.shtml

and maybe this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418

Comment

Working...
            X