Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organization Receiving Several Copyright Complaints - How to Find Culprit(s)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organization Receiving Several Copyright Complaints - How to Find Culprit(s)?

Hello,

Our organization has received several copyright complaints that we are distributing illegal material via bitTorrent. Obviously we do not condone this activity and we would like to stop this. I have Wireshark running and can see five users running a version of the bitTorrent client, but bitTorrent itself isn't the problem.

So, what I need to know is this. How can we prove that the particular IP's we are auditing are sharing these files? I am running Wireshark and capturing all packets for now on the said IP's, but what else do I need to do to make sure I get the right people and have a rock solid case?

I searched online but there is very little information on this, from what I have found. I could be searching for the wrong stuff though.

Thanks.

Regards,

Chris K.

Re: Organization Receiving Several Copyright Complaints - How to Find Culprit(s)?

Seize the PCs and do an investigation under as close to forensic conditions as you can -- insist the user gives any passwords or face dismissal.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Organization Receiving Several Copyright Complaints - How to Find Culprit(s)?

Also, run the complaints through a lawyer to see if they hold any water or not.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Agreed, but remember "vicarious liability" where a corporation is liable for actions of its staff.

Which country are we talking about?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

Comment

Working...
        X